Butts for Putts II

squirtthecat

MrsSTC's school was picked as the benefactor for a local charity golf outing again.. They received around 5K from it last year, and since I had donated 40 pounds of pulled pork to that winning foursome, they asked that I do it again. (the outing sponsors kick in for 1/2 of the meat)

Here we go..

Roughly 105 pounds of butts. 11 of them. Frozen solid. Picked them up from a friend (he did all the shopping while we were in NOLA - figures that butts would be on sale while we were gone) on Wednesday afternoon.

20110511163041.jpg

They are just partially thawed now, probably 80% frozen solid.

1-2-3 on the MAK.

20110513190242.jpg

4-5 on the upper rack. These things average around 9.25 pounds each, so they are huge.

20110513191858.jpg

6-7-8 on the Traeger.

20110513191922.jpg

The rub is a 'dumpster' rub. I grabbed a bunch of open containers and dumped them in the rest of the Salt Lick Clone I had in the freezer. Some commercial Salt Lick, some Plowboys Yardbird, some Head Country, some BB Kings Memphis, and who knows what else. I'll get a picture of the concoction in the morning - I was in a hurry as storms are moving into the area now. No mustard for the glue this time, I used a commercial version of Garlic Pam, threw the rub on, slammed the lids and ran back inside.

The pellet poopers are set around 245° for the overnight ride. 20 pounds of BBQrs Delight hickory in both of the hoppers.

I still have 3 more (28-ish pounds) in the cooler to put on tomorrow night. Those will be pulled/bagged and go to my friend that did all of the shopping legwork. I'll spend a little more time prepping his.

cont..

squirtthecat

They spent the night out there in the 50° rain. Got soaked pulling 6 of the 9 inside.

IMGP2928.JPG

IMGP2930.JPG

IMGP2932.JPG

The 3 stragglers on on the Traeger now. The MAK was running on fumes, and I don't want to mess with the pellet hopper being open in the rain. The others are piled in FTC and I'll pull them sometime after lunch.

cont..

squirtthecat

Rain rain rain...

IMGP2934.JPG

About to take the last Traeger butt off. The biggies on the right were on the top rack of the MAK and have a ways to go still.

IMGP2936.JPG

IMGP2937.JPG
]

cont..

Sirius76

What an undertaking!!

Good job! Like Hobbit said. I just hope they understand and appreciate what they're getting!

sparky

your a good guy patrick. its a nice thing your are doing. those are some big butts. they look great. i like the dumpster rub. not a bad idea at all.

squirtthecat

And, pulled...

1-2-3

20110514151550.jpg

4-5 (got too close and steamed up my lens)

20110514152457.jpg

6-7-8

20110514154025.jpg

Cooling off a bit on the counter before I weigh/vacbag them up.

20110514154234.jpg

HogSmoker

Liked the leaning tower of pork ! And man they look good... IMO smoked pork butt is the best of all bar bq a person can taste.

squirtthecat

30 pounds bagged up.

IMGP2947.JPG

There was 4 pounds left over from this load, so I put it in a separate (marked) bag for my buddy.

3 more butts heading into the Traeger around 7PM!

Meanwhile, the dishes... Ugh.

IMGP2946.JPG

squirtthecat

It's Deja Vu all over again! :D

Fire in the hole...

20110514182458.jpg

Mustard slathered, then rubbed with love.

20110514184146.jpg

That 'butt' on the right is actually 2 ten pounders - still frozen together in the cryovak.

Traeger hopper is loaded with 60/40 Hickory. Running at 180° for now for some gentle heat/smoke. I'll go bump it up to 225° later when I herd the cats inside for the night.

Carter13

Look great bud. It is amazing how much weight is lost during the cooking stage.
The last time I cooked two butts weighing 16lbs total and ended up with 8lbs of finished product. Pulled pork is great on pizza and sandys as well as giving to family and friends.

Patrick_CT

Very impressive the amount of food you are cooking! I am hoping that this summer I will be able to large cooking for one of the charities that friends/family attend.

squirtthecat

About 14 hours later..

IMGP2950.JPG

Panned/foiled/toweled and piled in one of my Nebraskan Cambros. (rice cooker is keeping the lid from blowing off)

IMGP2958.JPG

Rich, pure... Muck.

IMGP2956.JPG

Top Bottom