How many butts for 20?

Chili Head

I learned today that I'm doing pulled pork for 20-25 people next Saturday. I'm thinking 6 people per butt, this about right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KimG SOW

Count on losing have half of your 'raw' weight when you cook them. So if you have butts that are around 8# then 4 butts should be ok. But anything lower than that starting weight you will need to add more.

ACW3

I'd do at least four butts. You can always vacuum seal any extra pulled pork, so add another butt or two to your MAK. It can handle it! Remember, leftover pulled pork gives you something to experiment with in other dishes. It reheats nicely.

Art

SmokeAndSpice

I've done pulled pork sandwiches for ~30 people (lunch for beer judges-- good eaters!) on several occasions. Four (@7.5-8 lbs each) was always ample-- three usually would have been enough. That was with sides, but with a limited time for lunch-- nobody could keep coming back to graze indefinitely. I figure 40-50% yield, so we're talking upwards of 15 pounds of meat with four butts. Assuming you don't eat too much while pulling!

Chili Head

I had the wife pick up 4, 9 pounders today. With the sides I'm sure that will be enough. I have always done the prep and cooking whenever something was cooked outside. Today she did the buying and I showed her what to do with the CYM and rub. Next I'll be teaching her how to run the MAK..I'm glad she's taking an interest in it! Especially since she donated my time for me hehehe

ht01us

I've had 2 large butts serve about 15 people; but it was part of larger feed. We had a couple of vegetarians but they were balanced out by some 15-25 year old boys/men. I bet with 4 x 9 pounds you'll have a few left overs.

When I did that cook, I did my first overnight cook.

The fact you were volunteered means you are doing it right (whatever that means).

Have fun.

Chili Head

Note: after pulling I added some of the juices back in to keep it moist for re-heating.

This leads me to the next question..
What do you use to keep it moist for re heating? I was thinking half way through the cook I would put the butts in aluminum pans to catch the juices. Or should i just start them in pans? Afterwards Let the liquid cool and get rid of the oil/fat and add the juices back to it. And this will be my first overnight cook! One of the reasons I got a MAK.

squirtthecat

They will be plenty moist on their own! I do reheat with a mix of apple juice and apple cider vinegar..

When I FTC them, I put them in foil pans w/ a few healthy glugs of water in the bottom before sealing them up. Pour those drippings back into the pulled meat for some added flavor.

If you cook them 100% start to finish in pans, you'll have an insane amount of fat/grease in the bottom that the butts are swimming in.. I tried that once and won't do it again. Made quite a mess.

KimG SOW

We foil the butts at 160. And we always use ALL the juices that are in the foil at the end of the cook. It is amazing how the pork will just soak it all up after you pull it. This way we don't have to as much sauce.

Chili Head

Thanks for the help everyone!
I got my game plan figured out.
Ill post some pics tomorrow night when i put them on.

TentHunter

I was thinking half way through the cook I would put the butts in aluminum pans to catch the juices. Or should i just start them in pans?

If you cook them 100% start to finish in pans, you'll have an insane amount of fat/grease in the bottom that the butts are swimming in.

I agree! your first instinct is right; IF you're going to pan (or foil) them, wait until at least half way through your cook.

I trim much of the fat (tip from Andy (HoDeDo) PLUS I don't foil or pan them until AFTER they've smoked/cooked naked a while FIRST and have developed some good color. This renders much of the fat off and allows better smoke penetration.

For reheating, my braising liquid has similar to what Squirt adds. It contains Apple Cider Vinegar, brown sugar & either beer or Kentucky Bourbon so some of this braising liquid (from the pan drippings) is what I add back in for added flavor.

Ditto on what Kim said; its amazing how much the pork soaks back up!

Last edited:
Top Bottom