What would be your perfect size pelletcooker?

Big Poppa

Administrator
If you could build your own pelletcooker...what size would the grate area be?

I would like a 500 and 750 inch....

Pete

I like the 550 of the Memphis Pro but wouldn't mind a 750 or 800 for those days when I want to slap half a hog on there. Anything larger than that would be overkill for my uses. "Honey, fire up the 1000sq in smoker to cook this 16oz steak for dinner"

nepas

A MAK with a tall side for hanging sausage. Vents on top to pull heat and smoke, wired with a smoker IT probe to send data back to the pellet boss that has PID ramping for sausage smoking. Ahhhh sausage maker bliss.

jmeitz

At one time I was going to have yoder build me a custom pellet grill. It was going to be 300 or so of direct and 400 of indirect with a slide out top shelf so 800 all together. It was going to be totally custom but decided against it as we have cold winters and not sure how 1/4 steel would hold up to freezing temps. Maybe one day if I need a large smoker.

Bear

I wish my Memphis Pro was a double. That way I could use one or both. I've seen the Memphis Island with two built ins plus a fridge, but I've never seen a price(it would prolly scare the crap out of me).

What I would really like is just the double grill without the extras, on wheels, so I could roll it around.

jimsbarbecue

Having Two MAKs. It gives us some flexibility. It is nice to have them at different temps or the same. Extra full racks or halfs.
Some of the whole hog cookers that have a separator to use a separate pits or remove to use as a big one are nice options.Like Pete posted to big and you may feel that firing it up for a steak may be wasteful.I pack the MAK, so smaller may cramp our style.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Im looking forward to having the one star next to the two star and haveing the separate temps and extra capacity for those bashes I used to be famous for!

sparky

did i hear "bashes"? is that going to be fat tire there? come one, throw a party for the forum. hell i will take some vacation time. is your back yard big enough for my tent?

Pete

BP I'm having a bash up here on Nov 6th for my 30th if you feel like taking a trip! I'll have plenty of Pellegrino and olives stuffed with blue cheese...

TentHunter

Around the 425 sq. inch range

I love grilling/smoking and do so at least 2 - 3 times per week, so fuel effiency is important to me. 400 - 450 sq. inches is small enough to keep fuel use efficient yet large enough for 90% of my cooks, which is exactly why I'm eyeballing the Memphis select model. Its rated for 427 sq. inches!

I'll still have my bigger offset for larger cooks for church picnics, family gatherings, etc.

HoDeDo

My whole hog is 1320 sq. inches... I think just over double that, with two pellet pots, in a rotisserie format would be perfect :)

Like a 4 arm/8 rack unit with 12" x 30" would be cool (listening santa?) :)

KimG SOW

My whole hog is 1320 sq. inches... I think just over double that, with two pellet pots, in a rotisserie format would be perfect

Like a 4 arm/8 rack unit with 12" x 30" would be cool (listening santa?)

NO!!! Santa is NOT listening! :p:p Someone just got a Q-Kitchen. :D

Phrett Bender

I'm very happy with the size of my DB. I am looking at other grills to add as a second, not for more grate space but for the ability to cook at two temps at the same time.

Big Poppa

Administrator
I am with Andy..Sorry Kim! I would love the rotessseriee along with the convection...and the bigger the better....two fire posts would be great.

Kim did you really think I would side with the wife! heheeh

Top Bottom