Competing with the big boys on a shoestring at Morgan Hill No Bull Championship

scooter

As I walked through the teams at the Morgan Hill No Bull BBQ cookoff recently I was struck with this one entrant and the fact that he was going up against the best BBQ'rs in the state of CA with a single charcoal grill and a couple card tables. A David vs Goliath scenario if there ever was one. I didn't get his team name and I don't know how he did but I sure hope he did well.
I do know one of the Goliaths in attendance did in fact win the Morgan Hill contest but something inside me always seems to pull for the little guy and his just being there, and turning in anything at all in his boxes, can be counted as a victory when you're competing on this short of a shoestring!

IMG_7616.jpg

Big Poppa

Administrator
Thats a cool pic Spark You know at a lot of these comps there are backyard comps that are separate....you should try one!

smoker pete

I remember seeing him there Scooter and my Wife an I talked about him. It was refreshing to see someone with that kind of love and commitment put his hat in the ring.

HoDeDo

We see that alot around here. "any given Sunday", right?

His grill still has paint on it... so does his SUV, you should have seen me early on LOL.
93 Z71 350 with glass pacs, an old EZ up, a card table and a tailgate... boom box!
2 coolers, and about 40 tubs of stuff I didnt need.

This guy looks like a contender -- he has the pile pared way down; so he knows what he needs, the right amount of stuff, and he is workin hard! I bet he got a call.

I want the new guys to get a call, it is what will keep them coming back. Kinda like golf.... you can hit ALOT of bad shots, but that one beautiful one, where you eagle the hole, keeps you coming back for a long time!! You hear your name, and the cheers from your buds, and nothing beats it!

Last edited:

Big Brother Smoke

Yup, I hope he got a call! It would be neat to see what mods he make in a few years to his set-up.

Sterling you bringing the ice cream maker to Vegas? I am cooking chicken for Wine Country Q.

Top Bottom