For those of you new to pellet smoking.........

CarterQ

Is it everything you thought it would be?

For me it was so much better than I ever expected it would be, when I first got mine I was extremely happy with the traditional BBQ fare I could cook, but once I got going I had no idea how much else I could do!

How about you, what's been your experience now that you've taken the plunge?

TentHunter

So far I am very pleased with the new pellet cooker (although it already doesn't look so new anymore). I'm quickly learning to adjust for some of the differences between my traditional charcoal/indirect cooking and the pellet cooking.

One huge difference is the amount of ash produced. There's only about a tablespoon or two of ash after a long cook with the pellet cooker, which tells me that this is an extremely efficient way of cooking. Almost ALL of the wood pellet is converted to heat. I LOVE that!

It's easy to get that controlled, light smoke flavor that enhances the taste instead of overwhelming it. Granted, I can get that result with charcoal, but it takes a little more work, attention and experience.

The wife really likes the "Less Mess" factor of the pellet grill compared to the charcoal. My son likes the "it's cool" factor - lol :).

All in all I'd have to say we're having a blast with Pellet smoking/cooking.

Great thread topic!

sparky

pellet cooking has changed my life. i gained 10 pds or so (maybe alittle bit more). i just love cooking on my mak. i cook anything on it. i do like lump charcoal too. my weber kettle i love also. it's fun. i think i could cook just about anything w/ 2 grills (#336 & kettle).

Rip

I was just looking for a way to make decent Q, the whole wood fired outdoor oven thing has really changed the way we cook (and where).

Top Bottom