Tri-Tip... FINALLY!!!

TentHunter

After looking high and low for months, look at what my wife found at the local super market!
TTT01.JPG

Was this a good price - $7.99/lb on sale for $6.99/lb?
TTT02.JPG

Trooper

8 bucks a pound seems mighty high for that cut of meat.
Then again "C.A.B" moves the price up a bit as well.

Big Poppa

Administrator
a tad on the high side but you will love it. Remember to cook it a little more than you would a steak 145 is pretty good Scooter likes it a little more

So Cal Smoker

Wow $7.99 on sale for $6.99 sounds real high. I paid $2.97 per pound on sale at Von's about three weeks ago. We must have little cows here in So Cal (LOL). However, if you enjoy the tip than it's all good.

scooter

A good price for TT in my NorCal area is anywhere from $3.50/lb to $5/lb. Under $3.50/lb would be a great price. Normal price is between $5/lb and $7/lb.
I agree with BP on finished temp. Anywhere in the 145-150 range is good and will produce a nicely pink TT just to the medium side of medium-rare.

Last edited:

CarterQ

A little high on the price, but I have a feeling you will think it was worth it. 145 is the perfect temp, also remember, rest is a tri tips friend! Let it sit for 15 before you slice against the grain. Look forward to seeing the results!

Rip

Glad you were able to find some out your way. I think you will love the flavor of Tri Tip, can't wait to hear your results!

Last edited:

Deb

Very cool Cliff! I can't remember exactly what I paid for the ones I found but I think they were just a little higher than that. Good stuff though.

TentHunter

The results are in... Everyone agreed they were some of the best steaks we'd ever gotten and very well worth the money.

Speaking of "worth the money" I can get a better deal. The meat packer, where I get my whole pork shoulders by the case, owns their own slaughtering house, so their meat is really fresh, high quality, and they will take custom orders. They'll cut Tri-tips for me for bottom sirloin rate ($4.99/lb) if I order a 60 lb case.

I love bottom sirloin and now that I've had Tri-tip I can say without a doubt it's the best of Bottom Sirloin. I sure can't have it shipped to me for that price. If buying a $300 case saves me $120, I think it's a wise investment.

Top Bottom