Warming Drawer appreciation thread

Big Poppa

Administrator
I want to thank bob for the warming drawer....from the easy apps like smoked cheese to the jerky to keeping plates warm to holding food...it is a beautiful thing.

MAK DADDY

Your very welcome! While designing, it started out being just a shelf and ended up a very useful feature!
Wait until you see the next accessory we are working on for the 2 Star :)

SmokinMAK

Have my mop sauce sitting in the drawer this very minute! Doing a rack of St. Louis ribs this afternoon, and having the mop sauce warm, but not boiling is great!

mrbbq

I agree with Jim above. When I first got my MAK, I didn't know how much I'd use the Warmer/Smoker box. Now, like Jim, can't live without it. Whether it's keeping sauce warm, or cold smoking cheese or nuts....how wonderful. All you MAK owners who haven't tried cold smoking cheese or nuts are truly missing out on a tremendously great appetizer! Only takes about 30 minutes to get a rich, smokey flavor into the cheese or nuts. Delicous!
In our experiments at home, we've found that, for our tastebuds, thirty minutes is the optimum length of time to smoke cheese or nuts. We've gone as long as sixty minutes, but found that the result was a little overwhelming to us. Our best results for nuts is between 30-45 minutes, depending on the type of nut.
The ultra versitility of the MAK is so great. I truly believe that's what sets it a part from any other wood pellet grill available.

scooter

"Smoke" for cheese and for almonds I use 205 for 2.5 hours with the almonds on the upper grate on a frogmat. Every 30 mins I shuffle them around to mitigate the hot spots front and back. I do about 3lbs of almonds at a time.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Yeah I wanted the temp bruce uses when he is smoking in the firebox....what temp does he set the pellet boss too

mrbbq

Big Poppa===when it comes to cheese or nuts, I use the Smoke setting. Have found the temp was very steady at 175F. Our experience has been that you only need to smoke cheese or nuts for 30-35 minutes. Anything longer, and the smoke over powers the flavor of the cheese or nuts.
We put the nuts on a metal pizza pan, and then half-way through the smoke session flip them over with a spatula. With cheese, we cut it into rectangular pieces and place it standing up on a plate in order to expose as much of the cheese as possible to the smoke. Simple and delicious!

steeevj

I made a batch of Hickory Salt by putting a thin layer of kosher salt in a Pyrex baking dish in the warmer while smoking some ribs. I think it took about 20 minutes or so.

5 Hole

Have my mop sauce sitting in the drawer this very minute! Doing a rack of St. Louis ribs this afternoon, and having the mop sauce warm, but not boiling is great!

Great idea. I'm going to try the warming drawer to heat up sauce this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

Top Bottom