Some friendly tips when visiting a Competition

Big Poppa

Administrator
OK I just thought I would toss out a few unwritten things about visiting a bbq team at a comp....especially if it is a team that you want to root for that you met on a forum....

1. First and biggest rule...... Do not enter into a camp/tent/ kitchen on the morning of the comp. This is the number one party foul....(In Sac I had one person, a new forunite, come during pork and I told them to please come back later after the comp and they came back in the middle of the brisket turn in.) This is when you need the most concentration, privacy and focus. In a perfect world all the food comes off exactly how you wanted it and when you wanted it....the truth is that you are usually administering bbq cpr to at least one turn in....

2. Don't "Shig" That is when you try to find out just how and what ingredients or techniques the team is using. Teams can tell. If you do pick up something dont relay it to the public on the internet.

3. If there is a drape or a tent or a trailer do not enter it without an invite. When we are behind the drapes we are usually seasoning, mixing or talking schedule or strategy.

4. Bring Donuts. Ok you dont have to especially now that Im on a diet but Sparky brought a box of the best donuts going!

I know this all sounds a little intense but it really is the way to make the most friends at a comp......

sparky

Just to let everyone know the person who showed up at the wrong time wasn't me. Oh, the first one in the box of donuts was sterling . Lol.....

Last edited:

Thom Emery

I use the expression "permission to come abroad" when coming up to a team site
It saves a bunch of relational strain :)

Last edited:

HogSmoker

Good thread Big Poppa always wonder what they rules of engagement might be .....I live about 45 minutes from Memphis and have always wanted to go to the Memphis in May BQ contest. I always figured everyone would be very secretive and rightfully so and I'd never asked any question just observe.

sparky

actually you were still in pjs and had powdered sugar all over your face!
It was 5 am didn't think anyone would notice my jamies. Lol, ya but I brought brad and joe iced coffee to help them Get going. You were walking around that morning barefoot at least I was wearing flip flops. Lol ;)

txpgapro

As Thom found out, I don't have but a few rules. 1) bring whiskey or wine. 2) always ask before doing and 3) be prepared to work and help if you hang around too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom