Squirt is the Judge for this week! All entries win something!

Big Poppa

Administrator
Last week Squirt won by posting quality and quantity....100 lbs of beautiful pork butt and a nice little collage...good on ya Squirt...Now we are going to find out if judging is harder than cooking 100 lbs of butts.

First Place $25.00 Big Poppa Store Credit
Second Place $15.00 Big Poppa Store Credit
Third Place $10.00 Big Poppa Store Credit

All entries get a Five Dollar credit to Big Poppa Smokers.....

Ladies and gents fire up your pellet grill

TentHunter

Teriyaki Tri-tip

How about some Teriyaki Tri-tip with with Cheesy Bacon Mashed potatoes to get this thing rolling?

Here goes...

My wife spied these at the local super market (I think they got them in special for the upcoming Memorial Day).
TTT01.JPG

I made some Teriyaki style marinade (Soy sauce, Burgundy, Brown sugar & Garlic) and let them soak it up for a while.
TTT03.JPG

A light sprinkling of Little Louie's w/Black Pepper & put on to smoke slowly at 275° until an I.T. of 125°. Pulled to rest, cranked heat up then seared 3 1/2 minutes per side.
TTT04.JPG

Talk about easy but really good... The Mrs. made some instant mashed potatoes, topped with melted butter, Little Louie's & bacon bits. While the steaks rested, they went on to grab a little smoke, crust up & then were topped with some sharp cheddar.
TTT05.JPG

TTT06.JPG

Sliced...
TTT07.JPG

Cooked evenly throughout to a perfect medium.
TTT08.JPG

Served with an Avocado & Tomato salad.
TTT09B.JPG

I can see why Tri-tip is so well loved. These were tender and juicy beyond belief with a nice smoky, sweet, slightly peppery crust that made every bite as good as the last.

The potatoes were hot, creamy with a great cheesy bacony crust. Putting them on the smoker definitely took a cheap easy dish and made it incredible. Its what Big Poppa calls Easy Smokin'!

Thanks & hope you enjoy (we sure did). :)

Big Poppa

Administrator
Cliff you are halfway to a californian...I piss texans off when I say Brisket is for people who havent tasted tri tip

Deb

It's a happy day for me, my son came home from college for the summer......... I asked him a week or so ago what he wanted when he got home and he replied "Italian" so...... I stole parts of Carter's & Susan's cooks from last week.......

started by roasting some tomatoes & garlic on the grill
photo-15.jpg

sauteed some onion, carrot & shredded zucchini in some olive oil, added oregano, basil, marjoram, thyme, rosemary, crushed red pepper.....

peeled the tomatoes, minced the garlic all in the pot (I added some canned crushed tomatoes later)
photo-18.jpg

meatballs - oatmeal, milk, eggs, same spices as above (except cayenne instead of crushed red pepper) - I mix this all up before I add the meat
photo-19-1.jpg

added about a lb each of beef, veal & pork
rolled into balls and into the pellet grill
photo-3-1.jpg

after they were done they went into the sauce to simmer

earlier in the day I started some italian bread dough
photo-21.jpg

wasn't sure if my son would want pasta or meatball subs so I made sub sized bread
photo-14.jpg

when my son got home it was decided that he wanted pasta
he even helped - he did most of the rolling & cutting
photo-15-1.jpg

photo-16-1.jpg

cooked the pasta , plated, most of our plates looked like this
photo-18-1.jpg

my son decided maybe he really did want a sub
photo-19-2.jpg

Enjoy

smoker pete

Comfort Food ... Smoker Style

For our Weekly Dinner/Pinochle Party I had a hankering for some 'Comfort Food'. So I gathered up some ingredients and decided to make us a small Meatloaf with Mashed Taters and a side of veggies.

My favorite meatloaf recipe calls for hamburger, pork sausage, some sauté onions, red/green peppers, eggs, garlic, bread crumbs, tomato sauce (reserving ½ for topping later), and Fagundes Seasoning.

meatloaf1.jpg

Threw everything together, formed a little loaf, and Smoked for an 1½ hours using American Broadleaf Pure 100 Oak.

meatloaf2.jpg

After an hour and a half of Oak smoke, bumped the temp to 275ºF, inserted meat probe, and topped off the meatloaf with the remaining tomato sauce.

meatloaf3.jpg

Pulled the Meatloaf when the IT hit 160ºF and let it rest for 10 minutes.

meatloaf4.jpg

The money $shot ... A nice simple plate of Oak Smoked Meatloaf, Mashed Taters and Gravy with a side of steamed Zucchini and Yellow Squash ... Bon Appétit :D

meatloaf5.jpg

Big Poppa

Administrator
Im proud of you Sis1 that is really good and the tomato and tater look great but how about the perfect prime rib?

ITFD#15

Hey, Good cooks everyone. I can see it now this is going to be a busy one I might just have to jump in, I have had a craving for a big steak.

Deb

day 2 of summer for the boy....

non pellet but I started by baking these

photo-14-2.jpg

I couldn't bake those in the pellet grill because it was already in use...

last night starting working on some baked beans - my great grandmother's recipe (modified slightly)
started by soaking 2 lbs. of soldier beans overnight. in the morning changed the water and boiled til soft. Drained and into a pan , some bacon ends from the last time I made bacon (recipe calls for salt pork), onion, dry mustard, molasses & brown sugar (dissolved in some boiling water), salt & pepper

photo-15-2.jpg

all into the pan , mixed and enough water to barely cover
photo-16-2.jpg

into the pellet grill at 275, this is what they looked like right before the ribs went in.....
photo-15-3.jpg

two racks of ribs - simply done (or overdone:mad:) plowboys yardbird rub, foiled after about 3 hours, this is right after coming out of the foil (notice they both fell apart) back on to firm up a bit, no sauce

photo-16-3.jpg

dinner - ribs, beans, homemade cornbread, coleslaw, corn
photo-18-2.jpg

nepas

Easy Peazy for me on this one.

Wife said hey daughter is going to come over, hows about some steaks.

Ok

Put some durkee steak dust on em for a few hours. Slathered some butter on em.
DSC01050.jpg

Pellet boss controller on 375 using hickory.
DSC01051.jpg

DSC01052.jpg

I'll have mine with a de skinned tater please. Oh yeah some sour cream and Country Bobs ;D
DSC01054.jpg

DSC01055.jpg

Sirius76

Smoked chicken with bacon candy

Here's our last smoke. I spatchcocked a chicken and rubbed down with EVOO and a couple different rubs. One was dusted with Desert Gold and the other with Yardbird. Both got a shot of Little Louies Seasoned Garlic Salt. I wanted to try smoking a chicken without a marinade.

IMAG0120small.jpg

Onto the Lil Tex using a mix of Apple and Mesquite.

IMAG0122Small.jpg

Cooked at 180 for 10 minutes, 250 for 20, then 325 for an IT of 150 then up to 375 until an IT of 165. I wanted to give it a little longer on the smoke to get some mesquite/apple flavor.

Heres the chick during the rest...

IMAG0123Small.jpg

I also wanted to incorporate some Bacon Candy into this recipe. It turned out it was really just a garnish atop the potatoes.I smoked in the smoker at 325 until it had a nice crispness to it. The Bacon Candy was made using some brown sugar and a habanero/cayenne pepper mix. Sweet, spicey, porky. What more can you ask for? It really is candy, isn't?

IMAG0121Small.jpg

So here you go. The money shot.

Spatchcocked chicken with sourcream and chive mashed potatos with a bacon candy garnish. The salad wasn't anything special except for the home made oil/vinegar/lemon juice vinaigrette.

IMAG0124Small.jpg

IMAG0125Small.jpg

The meal was excellent. But if I could do it over again, I think I'll marinade. It just adds of level of flavor and juiciness that you can't get without.

Thanks!

sparky

Dinner w/ out the wife.

finals weeks around here. so i made myself some dinner.
P5190128.jpg

ya pig candy.never made pig candy. 1 cup brown sugar, 2 teas cayenne, 2 teas ginger, 2 teas souileau's. mix up and....
P5190132.jpg

onto #69 @ 275º
P5190139.jpg

yummy
P5190147.jpg

dinner is served menroe,
P5190149.jpg

P5190153.jpg

it was a diet dinner because i used non fat milk.

Last edited:

HogSmoker

100_0477.jpg

Pork Loin prep and sit over night for grilling Sunday
100_0479.jpg

Temp and time set
100_0481.jpg

Off the grill at temp 145 time 2:21
100_0483.jpg

Resting Loin
100_0485.jpg

I think it will taste good :p
100_0487.jpg

And as a field goal kicker would say.. IT's goodddddddd !

Deb

Eating out of the freezer......... last weekend I cleaned the freezers and I found the last container of turkey stock and the last of the blueberry cranberry sauce from Thanksgiving time - (the stuff that I did in this thread http://www.pelletsmoking.com/pelletsmoking-com-gallery-10/debs-thanksgiving-thread-300/ ) and a mini turkey breast boulder

So.... unthawed the boulder a bit , wrestled the plastic and most of the string netting off, rubbed with desert gold and into the pellet grill with cherry pellets at 250...... I unthawed the turkey stock and used some for some stuffing . Bumped the temp up put the stuffing in and some baby potatoes that were tossed around in some olive oil and desert gold.....

photo-14-3.jpg

the rest of the stock became gravy, cooked some corn and

dinner of turkey, gravy, cran-blueberry sauce, corn, stuffing & baby potatoes

photo-15-4.jpg

quote from our summer houseguest.... "this is so awesome"
Enjoy

Rip

Homemade Ciabatta BLTA's

We started out with a simple idea, make BLTA's. (The A is for avacado.) Then my wife decided to make Ciabatta bread for the BLT's...good thing it was still Saturday as this bread requires a 12+ hour rest period. We had used store bought before and loved it so we figured fresh baked would be even better. We started the bread Saturday night and by Sunday we were read to bake.

We made four loaves with the idea of getting two large sandwiches out of each loaf.

Here's one of the loaves on the MAK @425, takes about 15-20 minutes to bake...almost done.
IMG_2273sm.jpg

Here two of the four are done.
IMG_2277sm.jpg

When the bread was done we smoked some peppered bacon.
IMG_2283sm.jpg

Some of the bacon was then added to a pan of baked beans on the upper shelf of the MAK.
IMG_2284sm.jpg

The loaves were halved and toasted with butter, all ready to assemble! (The lettuce is from our garden, first crop of the season!)
IMG_2286sm.jpg

Sandwich number 1.
IMG_2287sm.jpg

Plated with some baked beans. (the flowers are from our garden, the Iris's just started blooming yesterday)
IMG_2293sm.jpg

Ciabatta bread is perfect for sandwiches, crispy outside crust, soft and chewy inside, lots of cavities to hold butter, mayonnaise, etc. and the bread doesn't get soggy. These turned out great! The baked beans were pretty tasty too. The bacon came from a small farm a few miles south of our house that markets their own swine and beef products.

Fresh strawberries, got to have dessert!
IMG_2295sm.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)

Top Bottom