Yet another pork butt question.

BudGarrison

I have another Pork Butt Question. Do you all mop your butt during cooking? In the past I have mopped with a homemade sauce every hour or so (while I am awake) and I always get a nice, deep, tasty bark. I have a friend who insists you shouldn't mop them. What do you all do?

Thanks,
Bud

TentHunter

No, I NEVER mop during the cook. For me that goes for anything not just pork shoulder. The only mopping I do is when I mop on some sauce during the last 15 - 30 minutes finish off ribs and such.

The main problem I had with mopping is you have to open the lid which means you loose heat, which means horrible temp swings & longer cook times.

But that's just my take on it.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Actually spritzing and mopping have their place if you dont use foil....I like to foil with a little marinade (try Smoke on Wheels!) at 165 internal foil it tight.....

Bear

The only reason that I ever open the smoker when cooking butts, is to take them out.

The only thing I mop is the floor, cause I'm a messy cook!

scooter

No mopping, no spritzing, no peeking, No problems.

Same here.

It doesn't really matter what we do, if you like to mop then don't stop because of what we say. You have to eat it so you should make it the way YOU like it best.

Rip

Well said Scooter, that's part of what makes this so much fun, everyone gets to do it their way...and decide what works for them.

SmokeAndSpice

Yeah, good point. I do things the way I do because I was taught a certain way (brining, mopping) but then found it made no difference to my taste buds when I didn't do those things (for butts, at least). These days I go minimal-- trim fat cap, rub well and let rest overnight, more rub the next day, then on the cooker with minimal attention after that. But equipment and preferences certainly come into play, so find out what works best for you.

Carter13

No mopping here. I really like a good bark on mine. I just cooked two yesterday and did the same procedure as SmokeAndSpice. I used to prep them in the morning but after the results I got I will be prepping the night before.

HoDeDo

I dont mop. But that is mostly to keep the smoker chamber working its mojo. You have smoke, heat, moisture all working together!
"If you are lookin' you ain't cookin'" that goes for every spritz :)

BudGarrison

Thanks for all the input. I am doing a big BBQ July 2nd, where I am going to put my MAK through its paces. I am going to see if I can get 4 briskets and maybe 3 or 4 shoulders in. I think I will not mop half of them and have a little taste off.

Top Bottom