Are you a reverse sear or T Rex Smoker?

Big Poppa

Administrator
Which one do you use? The reverse sear or the T-Rex (sear First roast to finish)?

I use both for steaks if most tof the party is having the same doneness I will reverse sear...if I have a wide range of temp choices i will sear first.

On most large cuts I sear first.

Bear

Everyone in my family like their steak med., and I like mine rare, so I use the reverse sear method, and I don't put mine on until the sear.

Everyone is happy.

LTS

I use my own preheat grill to 350 then drop to highest "smoke" setting 295 I believe throw on the rib eyes and cook until 135-140 IT take off and eat unbelievable how juicy and buttery (is that a word) incredible it is

LTS

Pete

I usually get thin steaks and T Rex them because it is faster and I'm a hungry guy, although I really dig a nice reverse sear...

TentHunter

I'd never tried a reverse sear until reading this thread.

The wife & I picked up some porterhouse steaks on sale ($7.99/lb) and I put them on the grill indirect until the probe hit 150, then did a quick reverse sear. The result was amazing, cooked to a perfect medium the way I like & had a slight smoke ring you don't get from searing first.

I will definitely do this again, but next time I'll pull it a little sooner and do a little longer reverse sear.

Thanks for the thread & info!

Bear

I'd never tried a reverse sear until reading this thread.

The wife & I picked up some porterhouse steaks on sale ($7.99/lb) and I put them on the grill indirect until the probe hit 150, then did a quick reverse sear. The result was amazing, cooked to a perfect medium the way I like & had a slight smoke ring you don't get from searing first.

I will definitely do this again, but next time I'll pull it a little sooner and do a little longer reverse sear.

Thanks for the thread & info!

My family likes theirs medium, and I usually pull them at about 110, then let them rest while I bring the grill up to about 500 to sear about 5 minutes on each side. These are steaks cut about 1" to 1.5" thick.

TentHunter

Thanks Bear. Exactly what I need to know for next time!

I am enjoying and gleening a lot of good info from this forum.

Phrett Bender

I like to sear steaks in a cast iron skillet at 650-700 for 90 seconds a side, then let them rest and relax for 20 min while the grill cools down to grilling temps and finsih them off.

SmokinMAK

I'm looking forward to doing a reverse sear. Cook in my MAK with Mesquite, then sear with the blast method using some lump charcoal in a large chimney with GrillGrates on top. As long as I don't burn my deck down, it should be awesome!

Big Poppa

Administrator
Let me see the before and after pics...you know the ones where you have hair.....and the ones after the blast with no eyebrows!

Phrett Bender

Well, maybe not hair and eyebrows, but......

HPIM2183.jpg

HPIM2178.jpg

HPIM2185.jpg

I won't mention that the thought of getting the high heat gloves did cross my mind, but I dismessed it thinking it only takes a second to turn the steaks, what could happen!

Top Bottom