Tried something new

Mr Hickory

Was curious if the sweet flavor of the Maple syrup would come out, so I took a shot at this. These are cooking today, could have trimmed more fat, but look at the glaze on these. They look like they have been varished. They have been mopped with maple syrup during the cook, and glaze is not from a fresh mop. This has been in there for 6 hours!

I can't wait to taste it.:p

KyNola

You may get a little of the maple flavor but you should for sure get one heck of a bark! Nice looking butts.

Mr Hickory

Yes the bark was amazing, you could almost describe it as a maple jerky. Maple flavor was very minimal, which I kind of expected, but it did have a sweetness. The glaze did have an intersting effect however. The Maple glaze essentially sealed in all the juice by creating that melted sugar boundry. The butt was so juicy it was oozing. Needless to say, I don't have any left.:)

Rip

Interesting....now what if we add some cayenne or habanero to that syrup mix, I like hot and sweet!

KyNola

Rip, get you some of the MAK Chipotle Rub and add to that maple syrup. I did that using molasses and it was an awesome bark on butts.

Top Bottom