Need some creative ideas for non bbq lovers (yet)

Patrick_CT

This weekend my family is coming over and this will be the first time cooking for them all on the MAK. I need some ideas since they are not real BBQ people and can not take much spice (I am not really sure that we are related ;)

I was thinking of a stuffed pork loin.. but i have never done this and not sure the timing or how to cook it to make sure I get some smoke flavor into it without it being dry.

I am going to stuff some jalapeños. but was also thinking of stuffing some sweet peppers and mushroom caps for the non spice lovers.

That is just the first thoughts.. would love some suggestions!

Trooper

Think of your MAK as an outdoor oven, that will change and enhance the flavor of your cooked foods.
Just do a Pork roast or beef roast, for example, and use the spices that you've been using for Sunday dinner.
Trust me. The food cooking naked over smoking wood will be wonderful.

squirtthecat

That loaf pan chicken someone posted the other day looked PDG. Just slathered with applesauce and Worcestershire, a light rub, voila.

Deb

Like trooper said, just think of it as an outdoor oven. Pork roast will be great on the MAK . I have done a few on my Traeger, I think the key to not ending up with a dry pork roast is to use a thermometer when cooking.

here's one I did in Nov (not stuffed). The roasted squash and pear was good too, now I have to try to remember where that recipe came from .....

214365c3.jpg

Big Poppa

Administrator
checck the grilling gallery on big poppa smokers hundreds of recipes...my videos and search the contest threads lots of variety there

TentHunter

I am going to stuff some jalapeños. but was also thinking of stuffing some sweet peppers and mushroom caps for the non spice lovers.

That's a great idea! Usually when I make poppers I make some with both jalapenos & bell peppers cut into sections. Both always go over really well.
SHTRIB10.JPG

bflodan

A non spicy appetizer that we love are bacon wrapped dates... The flavor of these are excellent.. Start with some large dates, cut the pit out and stuff with fresh shredded parm then wrap with one layer of bacon...try not to overlap too much, the bacon underneath never really cooks well, about 1/3 of a piece will fit one date...You wont be disappointed!!
Stuffed Dates (Awsome)
027.jpg

Action Cook
030.jpg

scooter

Rack of lamb! Delish and not heavy in spice town. It's what I'd do if I were in your situation.

IMG_6732.jpg

Or tritip

IMG_6990.jpg

Deb

That's a great idea! Usually when I make poppers I make some with both jalapenos & bell peppers cut into sections. Both always go over really well.
SHTRIB10.JPG

those look great Tent! I think some of those might need to be done here this weekend

TentHunter

those look great Tent! I think some of those might need to be done here this weekend
I think that Costco has some small sweet peppers that would be perfect for stuffing

Yeah, if you can get them those mini-sweets are great for stuffing and look beautiful! I get them whenever I can unless they're ridiculously priced.

Here's how we cut & clean regular bell peppers into little boat shaped sections. The mini sweets we cut & clean just like the jalapenos.
Poppers4.JPG

Patrick_CT

So many great ideas! I usually get the mini sweets (at Costco or bj's) and think they would be great for stuffing. The dates are also interesting... something to try. (how long do you need to cook them for)
There are a couple people that do not like lamb, so that is out for the family but will be made when friends come over.
I may need to go to the store and see what is on sale and go from there.. pork is always pretty easy but they made ribs for Mothers day (on a gasser).

Tent: what do u use to stuff your peppers? Or maybe I just need to have Deb come over and show me how it is done ;)

TentHunter

Tent: what do u use to stuff your peppers? Or maybe I just need to have Deb come over and show me how it is done ;)

Ok, here's what we use:

We've found a 50/50 mix of extra sharp cheddar and cream cheese works really well for both flavor and stability. The Extra sharp cheddar provides sharpness and the cream cheese stabilizes the mix to keep the oil from separating.

8 oz. block of Extra Sharp Cheddar
8 oz. pack of Cream Cheese

Shred the cheddar and put it in a microwave safe bowl with the cream cheese. Microwave on a low setting just to soften the two and use a fork to mix/incorporate them together. Then fill the peppers.
Poppers6.JPG

We then top with a little sausage (for Armadillo egg poppers), wrap in bacon, whatever you like. You could also add a small piece of smoked sausage & wrap in bacon for ABT's (Atomic Buffalo Turds). Sometimes we don't top them with anything and just let the cheese smoke, melt and form a little crust (Mmm-mmm that's good too!)

Smoke/cook them around 225° - 275° for about 45 min - 1 hour.

The variety of the Jalapenos and sweet peppers are always a hit, even with the folks who like jalapenos.

bflodan

I usually just cook the dates till the bacon is nice and crisp...you can throw them on with anything and just pull them when they are done and let the other food keep cooking.

scooter

There are a couple people that do not like lamb, so that is out for the family

There is a very big difference between the lamb your family is accustomed to and the gently smoked lamb that you'd be serving them off your pellet cooker! I have the same issue with my family and the comments I get usually run along these lines...."wow, I usually don't like lamb but this is great..."

Patrick_CT

This is what I ended up doing. I decided not to do a roast because it was a lunch and I wanted more finger food than sit down and eat. I have to say it was a success. People ate more of the things that I did not think they would. They were all pretty impressed with the MAK.

My BBQ lunch for non-bbq lovers yesterday. The pictures are scarce due to chaos in the house but the entire MAK top and bottom rack were full!
Menu was:
Stuffed mini sweet peppers (cream cheese, xtra sharp cheddar, scalllions and Garlic Dude dust for the non spice loving people.)
Stuffed Japs (cream cheese, xtra sharp cheddar, sliced mini andouille sausage, jalapeno salt and bacon on top.
Stuffed mushroom caps with the same 2 fillings (more or less)
Chicken legs and wings. only salt pepper and a little garlic on half (no other spice allowed due to a mixed audience)
Chicken legs and wings seasoned with Weber kicken chicken,smoked Paprika chipolte season, chipolte hot sauce and left to marinate.
Chicken breast skewered served with Sate sauce (peanut butter, milk, sambal, galic...)
P1080978.jpg

Chicken wings and legs all on the racks (love these!) Fit on the upper rack of the 2 star.. I was surprised.
P1080981.jpg

On the table.. but nobody waited long enough for me to take a pic. They loved the peppers and mushrooms but were not brave enough to even try the Sate.
P1080984-1-1.jpg

It was a good picnic lunch on a beautiful day in CT!

Top Bottom