A Little Ham Butt

bflodan

This worked out great, was in a golf tourny today threw it on before I left and I was home before it needed to be pulled off!! Came out great, I did one before that was a bone in Butt and I thought that was a little better... Not sure if the bone had anything to do with that???

Cured an 8lb Pork Butt for the last 4 days in a brine solution..This is what it looked like when it came out..

004-6.jpg

Threw it on the Mak at 225 and then off to golf..The best wife ever took a couple of pics for me and then glazed it after about 4 hours or so with just a brown sugar and mustard glaze..

005-6.jpg

Pulled it at 157 and let it rest..Wrapped it up and brought it to the Folks house for dinner.

007-4.jpg

008-7.jpg

Sliced after about a half hr
010-2.jpg

Short on time we just made a Gruyere Potatoe Gratin in the oven and a can of corn
012-3.jpg

I love how good this ham comes out..Perfect for a small crowd.. I want to try it with a loin next..

CarterQ

That looks really good, would love the brine recipe as well, got some pork sirloin tips that might be good like this.

bflodan

Thanks everyone!! The butts work really well this way I think! I did this the first time with a whole leg that was about 26lbs before I cleaned it all up.. That was for Christmas dinner and would just be way too much for a few of us now.. Ive done these a couple times and I think they are really good... Way back I put a msg out about curing a ham and Deb sent me a link...Thats what I used for the whole leg and thats what I used for the butt...Curing time was 1/2day per pound of meat...The cure recipe is there and just make as much as you need to cover your butt...I put mine in a large pot, and I have a brick i put in a zip lock and put that on top of the butt to keep it submerged...It worked! Im wondering how a loin roast will taste...Thats next, and yes BP I will do the potatoes in the MAK!! We where just pressed for time and I only have one MAK!! Maybe its time for another!! The link is below..

curing ham | Sustainable Eats

Top Bottom