Advice wanted for first butts on new pellet cooker

SmokeAndSpice

This weekend I'll be doing my first pork butts on the new cooker (Memphis Advantage). I've done more than a few on a Brinkmann smoker and a ceramic/kamado-style smoker, so know the general drill. I am wondering if there's anything specific to pellet cookers that I should know going in. Are there hot-spots or airflow issues that impact placement (e.g., upper or lower grate) or rotating the meat? Do you all typically use drip pans? If so, with or without added liquid? Any recommended temperature setting? The Brinkmann was all over the map, while I usually kept the ceramic cooker between 220F and 250F).

You know, things like that. I'll eventually figure it all out, but it can't hurt to get some gentle nudging to get me going in the right direction.

squirtthecat

I'd do it just like you always have for a good comparison.

I roll smoke on mine for a couple hours, then run it to 225-240° overnight. If I have room, I do them on the upper rack, with a couple foil pans underneath. (can of beer, minus some healthy swigs for the cook, in each pan)

Memphis

Welcome to the Memphis team! I think the techniques above will deliver excellent results. Let us know if there is any difference between the cookers.

Bear

I too, have nothing constructive to add to the above advice, so I'll just agree with squirt and up my post count by one....

SmokeAndSpice

Thanks for the advice. I'll be doing 4-5 butts (plus a picnic shoulder) mostly for an event next week, so think I'll split them between the Memphis and the Grill Dome and do a side by side comparison of the result.

SmokeAndSpice

I don't know anything about a grill dome, but it's prolly gonna be for sale....

The Grill Dome is a ceramic cooker. I doubt I'll sell it, because it still gives me direct high charcoal heat that's useful at times. And after reading this forum, it may well be a way to get a deeper smoke when that's what I want.

FWIW I wimped out on the direct comparison this time... the Scot in me just couldn't have two half-full cookers going at the same time, so I started the meat in the GD and moved them to the Memphis to finish when I put the salmon on for that night's dinner. I served the pulled pork this past weekend and got great reviews. People came back for seconds, and as the evening wore on and the cigars came out there were requests to bring out more pork!

Top Bottom