Temp Probes

JoePilot

And speaking of temp probes. How long do they normally last. The one included with my two star is now stuck at 490ish. Only cooked on it a bit more than ten times...:confused:

Big Poppa

Administrator
Probes are the achilles heel...the stock probes with all grills and thermometers will not last if exposed to direct heat or if they get wet.
You should always have a few extra because the probes know when its an important cook....I think Murphys law makes them I will start a thread on care of probes

mak has the expensive but worth it armored probes that are pretty much bullet proof with proper care

MAK DADDY

We have the new M1 Armored probes that are working fantastic and also have found a better standard probe that we have on order but it will be a few more weeks. Hang in there we are working hard to make these unreliable probes old news!

Patrick_CT

How do know they have failed? Will the controller give a very wrong reading or a fault? Or can it just be off by 5 -10 degrees, just enough to ruin a dinner? I am just not sure how I should make sure that they are always working.

smoker pete

How do know they have failed? Will the controller give a very wrong reading or a fault? Or can it just be off by 5 -10 degrees, just enough to ruin a dinner? I am just not sure how I should make sure that they are always working.

When mine failed on the MAK it read "HIGH". Nothing but "HIGH" ...

Techy

I'm looking at the Mak 1, are the old probes replaced when the new probes come in?
Also I'm concerned about using the Mak 1 in the wintertime, is the hood double walled or have any insulation? I'm looking at the Memphis select as well which I know is single walled but stainless steel. Of course I'd like the Mak 2 but it is out of my price range right now. I am considering the advantage as well but that is at the upper range of my budget as well but SS

Thanks,

-Bob

Thanks,

-Bob

MAK DADDY

Yes, they will either display "High" or 100 to 400+ degrees over depending on your program version. They will never be off by just 10-15 degrees.
The biggest killer I have seen for these standard probes is high temps, I have had a few last over a year at -300 degrees.

Last edited:

MAK DADDY

I'm looking at the Mak 1, are the old probes replaced when the new probes come in?
Also I'm concerned about using the Mak 1 in the wintertime, is the hood double walled or have any insulation? Of course I'd like the Mak 2 but it is out of my price range right now.

We do not warranty the standard probes but have replaced many of them that burn out within the first few cooks at no charge. They are pretty inexpensive but obviously an annoyance when they don't work! As far as cooking in the winter ask Squirt how his MAK 1 Star has performed in the cold :)

Star1021Scott

I don't know why Sterling or Bob even commented on this. Anyone who frequents this forum know both MAK and BPS sell quality products and truly provide a great customer experience.

Now as for probes I had never used them prior to owning a MAK, guess what? I failed to handle it appropriately and now it doesn't work. Guess whose fault? End user...and I've had my MAK for less than 2 months. But at least I learned a valuable lesson, and didn't run off and blame the manufacturer for my error.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

aks753

I will attest to the great service. Emails to BP responded to within minutes on a Saturday. Very responsive at Mak as well.

malawoo

I bought two probes with my mak a recieved one with the Mak and I use two of them all the time and no problem with them yet. Love My Mak and the great service.

Top Bottom