BBQ Family (Long)

KimG SOW

I will apologize now because I will probably get a emotional and it doesn't help that I am so tired but can't sleep.

I'm sure you have heard about all the tornadoes here in the Midwest and South. Well the one in Joplin MO is now rated as the deadliest single tornado in the U.S. since the National Weather Service started keeping records. It killed at least 125 people, and injured more than 900, and over 200 people are still missing. If you can find the before and after pictures.....there are no words. It is amazing/scary how everything can be gone in a matter of 6 mins.

In response to what has happen a few local BBQ'ers asked how they could help. Jeff Stith of Big Creek BBQ and Stan Hays of County Line Smokers have started the Operation BBQ Relief for Joplin. Working with Kookers Kare and the Salvation Army to get food to those in need and the volunteers. They called out to anyone who would be willing to help. The response has been amazing. We have people coming from KS, MO, AR, OK, TX, TN, PA. Kookers Kare has received thousands of dollars in donations and they just keep coming in.

Just in 4 days they have sent out about 20,000 plates of food, 14,000 in the last 2!!

They/We will continue to cook and/or give support for as long as we have the means and volunteers.

The BBQ Community is simply.... Amazing. I am so proud to be apart of it.

Here are some pictures that a local photographer took of the area. There are many of the town and then of the cook and people helping. There are many many pictures.

Joplin Tornado 2011

Jeff has warned me that seeing the pictures is nothing compared to what I will see in person, what stories I will hear. I pray that I am as strong as I think I am and will do what is needed of me.

Last edited:

KimG SOW

We have been cooking for 5 days now and have served over 110,000 plates!

I drove 2 deliveries out to people digging through their homes today. Can't explain what we saw.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Great on ya....You see all the bad things famous blondes do on tv...rarely do the many great gestures of so many people get the attention they deserve...the beauty is that nobody does it for press they do it to help.

CarterQ

Great on ya....You see all the bad things famous blondes do on tv...rarely do the many great gestures of so many people get the attention they deserve...the beauty is that nobody does it for press they do it to help.

Amen to that, and a big thank you for all those giving hope to a desperate situation.

Top Bottom