Pulled Beef...Chuck roast?

Roguejim

Does chuck roast make for good pulled beef? I want a smaller roast than a brisket or clod.

What internal temp should I shoot for?
How do I keep the roast from drying out?

Thanks.

FLBentRider

I have used chuck for pulled beef.

If you foil it or boat it with some liquid after the IT gets to 150F or so it won't dry out on you.

squirtthecat

Google "pepper stout beef". There are some good recipes/techniques out there to get juicy pulled beef. You can adjust the flavor/heat by leaving out the jalas, etc.

Trooper

Chuck roast comes out EXCELLENT cooked over pellets. I'm at work right now & don't have my recipe notes handy, so I'll reply again later.
I enjoy cooking them very thouroughly, placing them in a pan with some juices, carrots and potatoes for final two hours. (as in Sunday dinner)
I always try to cook far more then my immediate needs are.
Great for leftovers.

Trooper

Roguejim,
As I earlier discussed, I usually do chuck roast, adding potatoes and carrots for the final two hours. You certainly don't have too. The meat finishes VERY tender and moist. Probably just what you're looking for. I usually always make notes to evaluate when doing another cook. I'll copy and paste my notes. See if you can make anything out of them.

4.5-4.75 chuck eye roast
Air dried for 12 hours in refrigerator

Seasoned with mixture of Pkg. Brown Gravy, pkg. Ranch Dressing, pkg. Italian dressing (Mix all together/2 oz)
Use half (1 oz. for seasoning the roast). Rub on seasoning and spray with PAM. Also sprinkle on some Cookshack Brisket seasoning.
Let roast sit at room temperature.
Add 1 ½ cup of beef broth/chicken broth combination to foil pan.
Place roast in MAK @ 200f for 2 hours.
Remove from MAK and cover. Return to MAK or oven at 250f for addl. 4 hours.
Remove foil. Add 3-4 potatoes & carrots. Season mixture with pepper, cover, and return to MAK or oven for additional 2 hours.
YUP, total 8 hours.

Ro - I would consider just seasoning the roast and placing it on the grates naked rather in a foil pan for the first two hours. Then the remaining time in the foil pan, covered as in my notes.
Pull away.

Top Bottom