I always have too try it and then ask myself why .

HogSmoker

Living in the south there are always Bar BQ places to try.... there like Santa Claus there everywhere. Big and small in town out of town side of the road and even on wheels.
Sometimes going though a small town I will see a bq sign and I have too stop and try it. Most of the time I leave some what disappointed either it just not good the meat is dry with no flavor.
I stopped couple weeks ago at a side of the road bq stand got a jumbo bq sandwich with bq beans and a Dr. Pepper. Still 2 hour drive home so I set the cruise on 55 ready for the this jumbo delight.... 1/2 mile later I was throwing the beans and BQ in the brown paper bag it came in and thinking why do I do this.. at least the Dr.Pepper is...... and wouldn't you know it wasn't even cold.

Just wonder if anybody else is like me when it comes to eating other Q?
We have five bar bq restaurants in our city one you absolutely can't eat the stuff the other 4 are just ok. Sometimes I wonder if they know the bar bq tastes like a cotton sandwich and do they really care.

Big Poppa

Administrator
It does baffle me but california it is really weak...The other problem is that when we do it we are cooking for us and friends and it is always better than a restaurant even a good one

scooter

BP is right. A BBQ restaurant simply can't do, with the volume they cook, the things we can do to our racks at home. Ribs, pulled pork brisket and especially steaks are a few of the things I no longer order in restaurants of any caliber.

BudGarrison

I have to agree with you all. I typically don't even bother ordering brisket, pulled pork or ribs when we go out, they just aren't done right. Here in Portland, we have a couple of BBQ places that people just rave about. We always go try them out and the other half and I are just not impressed. I have a new neighbor who said he is a BBQ lover, he gave me a lot of crap because I never wanted to go get BBQ. He called me an elitist and a food snob, then I did a pork shoulder for him and brought it to a party. He no longer bugs me about going out, he offers to buy the meat and beer!

smokinlobo

Around here we used to have one place that had absolutely killer babies.
That's how I got hooked on them.
They closed, we tried other places to no avail.
We got our Traeger about 2 years ago so I'm figurin' they closed 2 1/2 years ago.

ht01us

I started cooking a lot as a hobby about 10 years ago just to try something new. I've stayed with cooking as a hobby because of the quality of the food. Now I'm not bragging; I go by the recipes that others have provided. I've gotten to the point where when we look for a place to go out to eat, it's usually for something that I just couldn't cook myself. Like you, I've had too many experiences where I think to myself "I can do this better".

Uinta smoking

Ditto, ditto, ditto. I deliver food as my job and see how places do things. They cram ribs in a pan so close together that it looks like a flat roast with lots of bones sticking out of it. They wrap briskeys and butts in plastic at night and reheat them in the plastic in the morning. Boiled ribs and gooey bark on briskeys and butts. That's yummy for most people I guess. There is notthing better than fresh Q out of my pit.

Bear

You've got to put a little "Love" in good BBQ. The restaurants don't have time for that.

One of the best compliments I've had on my cooking, was from one of the guys from my Masonic Lodge. I cook for the Lodge 3 or 4 times a year. This guy told me that he can hardly stand to go out for BBQ any more, because none of it compared to what I fixed.

Top Bottom