Fresh Pork Picnic Shoulder

Smokin Don

I have made a lot of pulled pork but never w/a skin on fresh picnic shoulder so wanted to try it. I found a 10 lb one for $14. I decided to trim most of the skin & fat except a layer to place down in the smoker. I seasoned w/just my favorite rub, saran wrap & in fridge overnight. I got up at 4am, injected w/apple juice & worcestershire sauce. Added a little more rub & let sit while I got the smoker ready. Preheated to 300 deg then down to 180 deg & added the pork skin side down at 5 am & went back to bed. Finally looked at it at 11am & added two temp probes & went to 225 deg. It misted rain & drizzled some all morning & finally quit about noon & added more pellets. About 2:30 it medt IT at 170 deg so double foiled w/some of the apple juice & sauce I had injected with, went to 250 deg. I also misted it a couple of times before I foiled. Aboult 3:30 it was IT 180deg & decided to finish in oven inside set at 300 deg. Was looking like rain so wanted to get my smoker cooled down & covered. It didn't take long to hit IT 205 deg, let it cool awhile, about an hr total, unwrapped & pulled & chopped some. I liked the way it turned out, I added the pan juices after I poured off the fat. I served it w/a little Bone suckin sauce, my cole slaw. on a COWB,(cheap old white bun). For a side we had my Tex Mex corn pudding. Ranked among my best pulled pork.

Trimmed
_5262945.jpg

Seasoned w/rub
_5262947.jpg

Injected & ready to smoke
_5272948.jpg

At IT 170 deg
_5272949.jpg

Ready to pull
_5272950.jpg

Some pulled
_5272952.jpg

Pulled & chopped
_5272956.jpg

Bones & some pork for beans later
_5272953.jpg

The finished Product
P5272958.jpg

Smokin Don

SmokeAndSpice

Very nice! I've got two butts and a picnic shoulder on the cooker as I type. I like the slightly different flavor of the picnic.

Top Bottom