First Brisket!!

smoker pete

Been wanting to do a Brisket for the longest time but just never got around to it until I spoke with Scooter at the Way Out West BBQ Championship. He asked me "why" and I didn't have any good reason except ... confidence and fear of the unknown!! ... Got some great info from Scooter and this is the result of his tutoring :)

Picked up a little 12 lb Brisket from my local butcher. Rubbed it with Annie's Roasted Garlic EVOO for the glue and applied some Fagundes Prime Rib & Roast Seasoning along with a liberal amount of pepper. Not sure why everyone calls for lots of pepper but they know a lot than I do so I done did sprinkle a bunch of pepper!! Wrapped it in plastic food wrap and popped it in the fridge for about 2 days.

Brisket1.jpg

Removed Brisket from fridge an hour before cooking. Pre-heated to 225ºF using American Broadleaf 60/40 Hickory. Estimated 18 hours @225º and 3 hours FTC. Eating at 7PM so I put the Brisket in the night before at 10PM. Here's what it looked like when I decided to take a snooze at 1AM.

Brisket3.jpg

Pulled when IT hit 197º. Five minutes shy of 18 hours! Talk about a tutoring job :D This is right before a 3 hour FTC.

Brisket5.jpg

After 18 hours at 225º and 3 hours FTC it was time to slice it up and reap the fruits of my labor of love :cool:

Brisket6.jpg

Chow time!! Soaked me a few beans, threw in some fixins, and simmered them all day. Gotta have a little Cole Slaw and of course, corn on the cob goes with everything :D

Brisket7.jpg

The money $shot ... Bon Appétit!! ...

Brisket9.jpg

Got my first of many OMG!! Our guests and my bride of 38 years could hardly get enough Brisket between all those OMG statements. I must admit that I hit a Grand Slam with my First Brisket. Very moist, tender yet firm enough to hold it's shape, and the flavor of the beef was well complimented by a delicious bark. Don't really think I can improve on this effort except cook/smoke 3 Briskets next time. This Brisket was wolfed down ...

Chuckster

I am not far from you and I could have sworn I smelled some excellent BBQing going on!!! That plate of food is the BOMB!!!

Top Bottom