Who Cut the Cheese?

smoker pete

Spoke with MAK DADDY and got the scoop on the temps in the Warmer/Smoking box and decided to smoke some cheese before the ambient temperature started getting too hot here in Central California. Picked up some Cheddar and Gouda at Costco.

MAKcheese1.jpg

Cut the cheese down to size and loaded the Smoker box.

MAKcheese4.jpg

Setpoint to SMOKE using American Broadleaf Pure 100 Hickory.

MAKcheese3.jpg

Chose to smoke for 2 hours but an hour and 45 minutes into the smoke I decided to pull the cheese since a few chunks closest to the chamber were showing signs of melting a little.

MAKcheese5.jpg

In this closeup you can see a nice coloring of the cheese from the smoke and signs of a little bit of melting. I have used Apple when smoking cheese in the past but wanted to see the results of a bit of Hickory smoke. Let the cheese cool for about an hour or so before vacuum sealing.

MAKcheese7.jpg

Tasted a little of the Gouda before vacuum sealing and slapping the cheese into the back of the fridge for 2 weeks. The flavor of the Gouda was pleasant enough but I want to allow the smoke to penetrate deeper into the cheese. Have found that allowing the cheese to rest for at least 2 weeks makes a big difference.

MAKcheese8.jpg

Who cut the Cheese? Not me :D I will cut no cheese before it's time ...

Chili Head

I love smoked cheese!
It adds another dimension of flavor to whatever you add it to. You'll love that cheese in another 8 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rip

Looks good Pete! I had to smoke some cheddar and Jalapeño pepper jack today, my last batch of smoked cheese is running out!

TentHunter

In this closeup you can see a nice coloring of the cheese from the smoke and signs of a little bit of melting.

Pete, that cheese does have a beautiful color! :) You may already know this, but here's a couple suggestions for those who are new to cheese smoking (if I may be so bold - hope you don't mind):

Try keeping the smoking chamber below 90°. Above 90° is when cheese starts to sweat oil which can then pick up up a bitter, almost kerosene-like taste. Plus some cheeses can later develop a grainy texture if this happens. I've seen NePas add a tray of ice to keep the MAK smoking chamber cooler. Maybe he can post a pic of it here.

It's good to let the cheese dry a little before smoking. Let it sit uncovered in a cool place (or even in the fridge) on wire racks for an hour or so. This forms a very thin skin or crust that acts as a barrier but allows the smoke to penetrate just fine.

Hope this is helpful to someone. :)

Cliff

ACW3

I concur with Cliff. Adding a tray of ice may also be required when you are cold smoking other things, like fish. Another thing that I do is to rotate the cheese away from the heat source periodically to minimize any sweating.

Art

383inTheD

So I think I picked up two suggestions how to keep the cheese in the smoker longer: /1/ rotate the blocks within the smoke box /2/ add a tray of ice to the smoke box. Has anyone measured the effectiveness of the ice tray approach with a temp probe?

I'd like to have more smokiness in my cheese but have found that it just can't stay in the MAK smoker box too long. Also, softer cheeses tend to give way sooner than firmer cheese like cheddar, provolone, swiss.

Any suggestions if you're "limited" equipment is the MAK?

roburado

Wow! Great tips! Wish I had seen or paid attention to this thread before we tried smoking a small block of cheddar.

Top Bottom