Oh the choices.....

Techy

Hi All,

First time here and wanting to move to the pellet world or darkside as some have called it. Been doing a ton of research and actually saw and experienced food (brisket and ribs) on a Memphis Advantage so at least I have seen how that works and is on my short list of units I like, but I've been going crazy with looking at all of the other units out there.

Being up in the Northeast (upstate NY) of course it gets cold and I like to cook in the winter so whatever unit I get needs to be insulated. I do like the Mak units but my budget really is in the $1200-$1600 range with me stretching it if I go for the Memphis advantage as it is a bit more.

I also was contemplating the Memphis select which is a bit cheaper and then seeing if one of the GreenMountain insulated grill covers fits it for the winter time as it is essentially the same as the advantage without the insulated walls.

Also my main concern is the controls and how well they adjust the temperature and how close they stay to the set temperature versus actual temp. I want to be able to Smoke at 200 or a bit lower and that quickly ruled out some including any of the WoodMaster grills which I did like.
I dont like the controls like you see on the Traegers or IPT etc, they never seem stable and are so 1950.

It also seems like there are many things that are still being tweaked on just about all of them from every manufacturer which also makes me think I should wait a bit before purchasing to see if some kinks get worked out. I'm also not sold on the powdercoat units as it seems like I see more than one complaint about units peeling. Of course I would like stainless but that does up the price. Finally, longevity of the manufacturer would be nice but I realize might be a bit unpredictable.

These are the units I am looking at and if anyone has one of these I would like to hear your opinion on them or steer me one way or the other.

Memphis Advantage Stainless
Mak 1 (but of course like Mak 2 with the pellet drop door etc)
Green Mountain (Daniel Boone Model)
Yoder YS480 or 640

Thanks to all,

-Bob

sparky

mak1 star / memphis advantage stainless / yoder ys480/640 / green mountain (daniel boone model). in that order but i have to admit that i don't know much about the yoders.

Trooper

I'm a MAK owner, and like most owners, you'll find me partial to what I presently have on my patio.
Most everyone seems to do OK in the winter. I cook year around dispite having to deal with 95 inches of snow last season.
The clean-up, in wintertime, is the worst part.
The wind is the killer, so any kind of a shelter from the wind is very desirable.
A lot of great features on my MAK (two-star). I find that I don't use the warming area near as much as others probably do.
I dump pellets often, so the dump door is a great feature.
I have also seen the Memphis line (a friend has the Memphis Advantage)and the Fast Eddy grill in action.
I don't thinkl you'll be disappointed with any of these units.

Memphis

Hi Bob,
We make the Memphis product in MN. We both had brutal winters last year but it looks like spring may have finally arrived. Both the select and advantage will do an excellent job for your. Last winter we used both grills outside all winter long. Even when it was -17F, and they operated and ran up to temp with no problem. You do not even need the blanket! We can't let winter keep us from eating good BBQ...

Techy

Memphis,

Can you correct me if I'm wrong but the differences between the Select and the Advantage is the single versus double steel, 500 degrees versus 600, no side shelves versus side shelves, nickel vesus ss grill grates. Am I missing anything else? Are the electronics, auger, firepot and the other items all the same in both?

Does Memphis plan on any upgrades in the very near future such as easy pellet removal or anything else.

Thanks for your answers,

P.S. Poppa, just checked your select specials, No cover included? Would rather have a cover, frogmat and grill grates than what you have listed. You have that special for that Mak line. I'm just saying.;)

-Bob

Big Poppa

Administrator
Bob we have to create specials that make everyone happy including the Manufacturer. Keep in mind that if you find a lower price in writing I beat it so its academic.

Top Bottom