The art of foil

383inTheD

Ok, this may be obvious but maybe I'm also missing out on something. So I guess there's no dumb questions. I've searched the forum on "how to foil" and similar phrases and have come up short. So I'd like to ask the community if there are any techniques or tricks to foiling your grill goods?

I've seen reference to "foiling" and "boat" and don't really know the difference. So what do I have to learn?

Trooper

When I wrap ribs, I double wrap - two sheets of heavy duty foil. Somtimes the bone edges make tiny cuts in the foil and this helps with a possible leakage issue.

I just roll out the foil about 3-4 inches longer than the rack. I lay the rib meat side down on the foil. To make a boat, just bring up the foil all the way around the rib so it will hold the liquid after you pour. Add the juice. Fold and crimp the foil the length first. Then fold and crimp the ends.

My ribs go back on the heat for an additional hour. Meat side down first, flipping halfway through the time.

It's Memorial day and time for a rib fest around here. When wrapping,I'll try to bang out some photos and get them posted to this thread.
FSCN0883-1-3.jpg

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
Ahh foil...The best advice is to make sure whether you double wrap triple wrap single wrap that you try to get it as tight as you can....get as much air as you can. The foil steams and tenderizes the meats...I foilf Pork Butt Brisket and ribs and thats pretty much all.

When you are foiling you add some liquind just a few ounces....with ribs I add some secret stuff like honey and brown sugar...sometimes a little sauce.

Rip

Some other terms you will hear: Tent, (foil, not the hunter), means to place a canopy of foil over your meat, usually during the rest. FTC means foil, towel, cooler. Usually a dbl wrap of foil, then placed in a ice chest, and surround the foiled meat with towels.

383inTheD

Thanks for the replies, hints, tips and explanations. They definitely help. I think one slipped through and that is the term "boat". Can anyone help out with that or am I mistaken on my terms?

Rip

Boat refers to placing the meat in a pan with some liquid and then covering tightly with foil, usually done as an additional step following a more conventional cooking process, but it can also be used as a stand alone process.

Top Bottom