Blast Cooking

Big Poppa

Administrator
The only blast that I'm aware of is the concept called "jet blast". It has been around but like most things Alton brown has brought it to light and is probably taking credit for it. It is essentially cooking meat on a weber charcoal chimney either right on the coals or with a grate sitting on top of the chimney. There is no more direct sear than this method...for thinner steaks it is a winner but it is much more dangerous and you have to do one at a time. (and there is no pellet goodness unless you sprinkle a handful of bbqers delight pellets into the coals. Meat head at amazing ribs has found this to be a great searing method.

If you are cooking a bunch of stuff and you have your pellet grill and a charcoal grill going keep in mind that the chimney is a cooking tool too

TTNuge

I saw Alton do that on one of his shows, I think it was a Good Eats about the T-Bone/Porterhouse or maybe just steaks in general. The finish product did indeed look pretty damn good. Made me want to try it out but since I don't cook with charcoal I didn't feel like going out and buying the things I'd need.

TTNuge

So could a reverse sear still work in this situation or would you be best suited searing then using indirect heat? Sounds like some experimenting is in order.

TTNuge

I remembered I had a few Good Eats on my DVR as well and the Porterhouse Rules was one of them. Just finished watching it. Forgot about the dry aging he discussed as well, wanted to try that. The interesting thing and the difference between his method and the method on Meatheads site is that for the searing he does a minute and a half on each side with the steak underneath the chimney full of charcoal. Then he puts the grate and the steak on the top of the chimney and covers it with a bowl to finish it off to desired temp. I could definitely see this going well with the pellet cooker, just not sure how much of that pure wood flavor it will impart in the time allowed.

SisInLaw

yes but its scary hot and I really think that it is borderline unsafe

Stop being a ninny.

The radio show described it as cooking super hot and super fast. They talked about chicken. And they said you don't do even ONE THING to the meat ahead. No seasoning, no marinating, NOTHING. Just roast it like you're trying to kill it again and it's done fast and comes out perfect.

Top Bottom