What came first......

Deb

Hello everyone. My name’s Kevin, never made a post here before, but I’m Deb’s son. I know a few of my pieces of work have ended up here (some ribs I made a while back, and my meatball monstrosity).

Well, I got back from my university just over a week ago and I’ve been itching to try out a recipe idea that I got from a restaurant down in Baltimore called Miss Shirley’s. Miss Shirley's Cafe - Baltimore's Best Breakfast, Brunch and Lunch

The last thing I got from there was a grapefruit brulee and a dish called, “What came first?”

Here is my version of "What came first"

So, the first thing I did was get some chicken tenders in a plastic bag with some buttermilk, some garlic, hot sauce and salt and pepper. I let that sit in the fridge for a while. Well I was doing this I threw some sausage patties on a pan and made some sausage gravy.

I also started to prepare the bacon. I set 8 pieces aside for candying. I did that by sprinkling on some brown sugar and some (gun powder) rub. I also mixed a little egg, some hashed potatoes (store bought unfortunately) and some flour in a mixing bowl with my hands. I then added some garlic salt, formed the potato into balls, and wrapped those in bacon. I then popped them into the smoker.

68b89d5d.jpg

797aa5d2.jpg

Then I got to work on the chicken. I dipped them into egg, flour, then some panko bread crumbs, then put them in the smoker after the bacon was done.

0bfa3a3b.jpg

To finish it all up I put some biscuits into the oven, poached an egg on the stove top, and Deb whipped up some hollandaise sauce.

I then ripped the top off two of the biscuits, put the egg, some bacon, and the hollandaise (the egg), and in the other I placed the chicken and poured the sausage gravy on the other (the chicken).
I then plated with the hashbrown balls, (both wrapped and unwrapped) and the candied bacon.

9c6071d4.jpg

ACW3

Kevin,
You came by your ability to cook honestly. Enjoy it. It is something that will be useful the rest of your life. You will meet a lot of people through your cooking.

Art

P.S. That plate you fixed looks really good. I'll bet it tasted even better. Are you going to visit the NEPA SO in June?

CarterQ

Great looking cook Kevin! Definitely looks like the apple did not fall very far from the tree. Food looks awesome and the best part is you had fun doing it.

Rip

Nice cook Kevin! Welcome to the forum. Get your own account, I think you are ready to give your mom some competition! :)

sparky

kev man. the food you cooked looks great. nice job partner. wish i had a plate of that. ask your mom for more cook time. :cool:

Deb

ask your mom for more cook time. :cool:

he cooked dinner 4 nights last week, 3 outside - 2 on the weber, one on the pellet grill :cool:

all was good until I caught him trying to use my last fat tire as steaming liquid for hot dogs :confused:. luckily I caught him just in time.... told him to use his father's beer......

Last edited:

Kevin Arsenault

Sorry for the delayed response but I'm an extremely lazy person.
Thank you everyone for your reply.

Also, @ACW3; I don't know if I will be able to visit the cookout or not. I have a lot on my plate a the moment (please excuse the pun), but chances are if my mom goes then I will as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom