Chocolate Angel Food Cake

Deb

When I'm trying to be good and am craving dessert this is one of my go to recipes.

This is the Chocolate Lover's Angel Food Cake from the Cake Bible by Rose Levy Berenbaum

1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp (1 oz) dutch cocoa (I used King Arthur Double Dark Cocoa)
1/4 cup boiling water (2 oz)
2 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cup sugar (this is split in the recipe)
1 cup (3.5 oz ) cake flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 liquid cups (17 oz) egg whites (approx 16 )
2 tsp cream of tartar

in medium bowl combine the cocoa & boiling water - mix until smooth.
whisk in vanilla

89785775.jpg

in another medium bowl combine 3/4 cup sugar (not the entire amt above), the flour & salt - whisk to blend

In large mixing bowl (I use 6 qt bowl, 5 might do it but it will be full) beat the egg whites til frothy, add then cream of tarter and then beat until soft peaks form when the beater is raised. Gradually add in 1 cup of sugar beating until very stiff peaks form when beater is raised slowly. Remove 1 cup of the egg whites and place into cocoa mixture.

Eggs unbeaten
6da6c8e2.jpg

getting there
8998365a.jpg

6 qt bowl almost full
24b7b32b.jpg

Dust the flour over the remaining whites 1/4 cup at a time and fold in quickly but gently. It is not necessary to incorporate ever speck until the last addition.

mixing the flour in
fb2858ab.jpg

whisk together the egg white (the 1 cup) and cocoa mixture

e99083e2.jpg

starting to mix the chocolate mix with the egg whites
2659bd4a.jpg

fold into batter until uniform.

Pour into 10" tube pan (I used a loaf shaped angel food pan)

de7afe3a.jpg

bake at 350 (preheated oven) for 40 minutes until a cake tester in the center comes out clean and cake springs back when lightly pressed. (the surface will have deep cracks)

e16e874e.jpg

Invert the pan, placing the tube opening over the neck of a soda or wine bottle. Let cool completely in the pan (takes about 1 1/2 hours). Loosen the sides with long metal spatula and remove from pan

both this loaf pan and my round angel food cake have little feet for inverting:

d6d705ee.jpg

to be continued.......

Deb

note: this part of the post is not the "trying to be good part"

some dark cherries, maple sugar & a little Sapling maple liqeuer

8ccc6dfc.jpg

after a little time in the pellet grill plus a couple of Scooter's bananas too
f05a4f0e.jpg

dessert:::banana on the left, cherries on the right.....

fd7d5abe.jpg

Last edited:

Deb

Art - I'll try to make one. I told Rick I'd do the bourbon chocolate cheesecake again. I need to make a list.....

ACW3

Well, if I had to choose... The bourbon chocolate cheese cake would be my first choice. My mouth is already watering. I can't wait for the SO!

Art

sparky

i agree on that one. nice dessert deb. between you and your son your husband must eat real well. :)

Last edited:

Patrick_CT

hmm dab.. I thought you said you knew how to get to Southbury and yet I do not see and desert, or your son's breakfast, on my doorstep ;)

cowgirl

MMmmm Deb!! Looks great!! My hens are producing more eggs than I can eat right now, cake sounds like something I need to try. Thanks!!

Top Bottom