Smoked Gyros

CarterQ

Been wanting to mix it up lately and do something different so tonight we gave gyros on the pellet cooker a whirl-

Started with some fresh lamb shoulder and ground it up along with some sirloin

250bdb34.jpg

0d25f98e.jpg

Seasoned with Majoram, Thyme, Oregano, Garlic, Onion, Salt and Pepper

d693a6ea.jpg

Mix it up real good and palce in a loaf pan

0f267e2e.jpg

Onto the MAK @275 for about an hour

e0fa766c.jpg

While the meat is cooking make the Tzatziki

Greek yogurt, dill, honey, cumin, white pepper, and lemon

9353274a.jpg

Whisk it up

730a35ed.jpg

Take a cucumber and deseed it

75c6c41c.jpg

Chop the cucumber add salt and place it on plastic wrap, wrap it tightly for about 30 minutes (this will help remove the liquid from the cucumber)

53a2dc09.jpg

Drain the liquid of the cucumber and whisk in with the sauce

35c99fa2.jpg

CarterQ

Smoked Gyros Part 2

Back to the meat, pull the meat out of the loaf pan and back on the MAK @325 for about an hour

c5190960.jpg

e37fb95a.jpg

Meat is ready, off the grill and rest for a few

1417bccf.jpg

Slice the meat

09b94f89.jpg

Serve in a pita (we went the pocket route) with Tzatziki, lettuce, onion, and tomato along with a nice brew

45265366.jpg

Good stuff!

08f25b35.jpg

These came out good, used to do them all the time on the gasser's rotisserie so this was a learning experience, definitely will play with it some more to dial it in.

Rip

Great stuff Carter! I've been wanting to do something with pita pockets, this gave me some ideas.

Deb

Carter - awesome!! We will be doing this sometime soon. Based on Kevin's reaction to this I don't think I'll be the one cooking it.

ACW3

Another great idea to add to my list of things to cook on my MAK! I love this site. With a sister-in-law of Greek extraction, I get to taste some really tasty tzatziki sauce. However, her recipe uses a lot of minced garlic. Give that a try sometime.

Art

TentHunter

I've been wanting/planning to do Gyros for a while now. After seeing these, I really want to give them a try.

Another inspirational cook Carter!

Big Poppa

Administrator
OK I dont want to stir anything up or discredit ay of the other wonderful cooks but if I was judging.....I just love gyros and imagine one where you knew waht it was made of!

Top Bottom