Photos from the $10,500 Big Poppa Cook

Big Poppa

Administrator
We donated a cook to the local Catholic Schools fundraiser. It is a big deal in the desert and this year they had George W speak. There was a bidding war and the winning bidder paid $10,500 for us to cook for them. We said we would cook for 200......they called and asked if we would consider cooking for 300 and they would pay us or pay for the extra food. I said we would do it and no extra fee...

They ended up donating it to the school for the 8th grade graduation party. It was at a really neat ranch about an hour away.

The boys got there super early and I made it at around 6:30....

We used our new catering rig from meadow creek. I bought it to cater for charities only.
(the moms were all asking for our cards for different events and I told them that we werent for hire unless it was a charity.

So we cooked:
Baby Back Ribs
Pulled Pork
Plowboys Chicken legs and thighs with Mike Mills 17th street sauce...I love that with chicken especially the spicy one....
Beef Tenderloin
Potato Salad
Green salad
Roasted Garlic bread toasted on the meadow creek chicken cooker
Chris Lilly's Beans

I bought Julian Pies ...a local treat We had Peach Apple Crumble, Dutch Apple, Cherry Apple Crumble, Mountain Berry Apple Crumble and Boysenberry Apple Crumble

They asked that we serve lunch at 12 noon...nailed it and served the first person (110 total at exactly 12....
We were so busy I didnt get many pics but here they are.....

Thanks to the "boys" as Johnny Trigg calls them Joe, Jody and Brad The men of BPS.
Plowboys seasoned chicken ready for the smoker
DSCF0045.jpg

Early morning shot...Jody took it so he isnt in it....He can do most things but is working on two places at one time
DSCF0047.jpg

Joe patiently waiting while I am in deep thought...
DSCF0048.jpg

Look at that row of tenderloin...it has my first batch of my bbq rub....it was good!
DSCF0051.jpg

The Meadow Creek Chicken Cooker is so good...we toasted the garlic bread on it
DSCF0053.jpg

Here is some chicken goodness
DSCF0054.jpg

and a money shot....sorry about the shadows...and there is no chicken on the plate...that was seconds
DSCF0055.jpg

TentHunter

Wow that was a lot of good food to cook. I bet you guys were slap worn out by the time it was over. Great Job BP, Joe, Jody and Brad!

Chris231

Great looking cook guys! I'm sure it was a blast.

BP - Don't let Jody fool ya, I've seen him be in two places at once before!

Thom Emery

Yea Man Thats the ticket
I am cooking the Set Free Ministries Pastors Conference Friday
and their Bike/Car Show Saturday
Just love cookin for people LOL not CBJs LOL

Chris231

Hey Chris we were cooking just below where you two ran out of water on your two day hike

That is a very nice area up in the foothills of San Jacinto mtn, right in your backyard!

Yea, I try to forget certain parts of that day. It's a bit off topic, but make sure your boots fit properly before going on a 40 mile hike!

Big Poppa

Administrator
I hear some dullard actually also had an espresso machine in his back pack....If jody can be in two places at once....can you make espresso without water? BOth of you missed your calling

Red

The cook was great. I love the craziness right before the food starts being served... Everyone loved the food, and had a great time. The pie was awesome. Just had a leftover piece a couple of minutes ago.

BP - I am still working on the two places at one time thing. I have had limited success with mainly very poor results...

The hike BP is referring to is a backpacking trip my brother (Chris231 on this forum) and I did a few years back. We hiked to the peak of San Jacinto 10,834 ft, and then followed the Pacific Crest Trail back to civilization. The total hiking distance was over 40 miles in two days. And yes Chris did actually carry a backpacking espresso machine with him, 5 pound chunk of steel... Crazy coffee junkie... It was a brutal hike in mid July. After limited sleep on the trail, and haggard bodies we ended up running out of water with about 6 miles to go. We had each consumed over a gallon of water a day. Weather was in the 90's, 15 degrees hotter than it should have been. We suffered pretty good... I think in total between Chris and I we lost about 8 toenails due to foot swelling caused by the hot temps and shear mileage. I think I am about ready to try that one again. Maybe not in July, and maybe Chris will leave his espresso machine at home. You ready to tackle the mountain again Chris?...

HogSmoker

Been better if it was a Arizona Cardinal hat instead of a St Louis Cardinal hat... sorry Sparky but I'm a Az card fan.. :)

Top Bottom