New to pellet smoking, or smoking of any kind

Leeroy

Hello. My name is Leeroy and I have a new pellet smoker.
My first ry was St Louis cut ribs and they were bad so I need help.
I want to smoker 2 chickens using the beer can method. Any suggestions???

CarterQ

Welcome aboard Leeroy! First off a little more info would help us help you. What are you cooking on? What temps did you do the ribs at, as for the beer can chicken, fire it up to 325 - 350 and cook until you get an internal temp of 165.

ACW3

Welcome Leeroy from North Carolina. I used to do the beer can chicken thing, but have since changed over to the spatchcock method. I can get the flavor out of a quick injection to all the parts, if I want. Like CarterQ said, 325-350 until you reach 165 IT. And the skin will be crispy, too. Give it a try.

Art

Leeroy

I have a Traeger Texas Elite.
On the ribs, the rec said to to set on SMOKE for 3 hours, but the temp gauge went up to 225. I called Traeger and they gave me directions to lower it so I did that. Then wrapped in fiol for another hour. They were tough and certainly did not fall apart.
Ths for your comments.

scooter

Sounds like you undercooked them. At 225 you'll need more than 4 hours even if one of those hours was wrapped. I cook my ribs at 275 because some of the best rib cookers in the world cook their ribs at 275 so that's what I do and it works very well for me! My ribs are done in under 4 hours. Saves fuel and much of the fat renders out.
When I first started cooking ribs I couldn't figure out the best way to tell when the ribs were done. I tried all the methods but the one that worked best for me in the beginning was using internal temp between the bones. I found the right internal temp producing the right finished texture was anywhere in the mid 190's. Get them around 205-210 and your getting into fall off the bone ribs if that's what you're looking for.

Top Bottom