Quail smoking

cowgirl

Hi Ken,
One of my favorite ways to smoke quail is to marinade in soy, olive oil, minced garlic and sherry...
I don't have any posts here showing them, this is one from my blog.
Cowgirl's Country Life: Quail, Catfish, Brussel Sprout and Wild Rice Smoke

If it's wild duck I like to use a marinade and bacon wrap... domestic ducks are so fatty you don't need to marinade but you do need to use a drip pan to catch the excess.
Here is a plain salt and pepper smoked duck.. I smoked it for gumbo.
Cowgirl's Country Life: Smoked Duck and Andouille Sausage Gumbo

You really can use any chicken marinades for both quail and duck. They come out tasty! Good luck!

HogSmoker

Grilled Duck breast... Simple but really good.
Take Duck breast sliced into strips thump thick wrap in bacon. I use tooth pick too hold bacon on.
Marinate over night in :
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup Soy sauce
1/3 cup Teriyaki
1 cup Red wine
I preheat my charcoal grill too 300 degrees place duck breast strips on foiled top grate cook until done.
This is a really good appetizer food.

TentHunter

Did you harvest them or are they farm raised (just curious)?

Jeanie (cowgirl) does a lot of hunting and really knows how to cook game like it's nobody's business! Be sure and check out her blogsite; its packed full of good stuff. :cool:

Quail

When cooking Quail keep in mind Quail is small & has very little fat. It's easy to overcook and dry out (think of a large thin skinned chicken breast), so either cook them Hot & fast to an IT of 162-163°, remove, cover with foil and let them rest for 10 minutes. They're small so they will only rise a couple degrees in temp while resting but should come up to an IT of 165°.

Or follow Jeanie's low & slow method - marinate & bacon wrap - or coat them with something to act as a barrier - oil & herbs or a sweet rub/glaze that will caramelize.

Either way Do NOT cook them past an IT of 165° or you will most likely dry them out.

Duck

Duck is a very rich flavored meat, so I lends itself well to a heavy and/or sweet seasonings & glazes. We've have had good success with an herby mix of: Salt, Fresh cracked Pepper, Sage & Rosemary.

Oh yeah, like Jeanie said, put a drip pan underneath or you will have a greasy mess!

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:

TentHunter

Grilled Duck breast... Simple but really good.
Take Duck breast sliced into strips thump thick wrap in bacon. I use tooth pick too hold bacon on.
Marinate over night in :
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup Soy sauce
1/3 cup Teriyaki
1 cup Red wine
I preheat my charcoal grill too 300 degrees place duck breast strips on foiled top grate cook until done.
This is a really good appetizer food.

This recipe looks really good!

Top Bottom