Cliff You ready? You are the judge for this weeks contest Everybody that enters win

Big Poppa

Administrator
Anybody have any ideas left in the tank after last week? I know Sparky does....

Here we go

Every entry is $5.00 credit Big Poppa Smokers

First place $25.00 Credit to Big Poppa Smokers

Second Place $15.00 credit to Big Poppa Smokers

third place $10 credit to Big Poppa Smokers

Light it up!

TentHunter

I am Ready! You guys haven't failed yet to come up with great and creative food coming off your grills. I expect this week won't be any different...

or easier for me to judge!

For any new entrants just remember, the cook must involve pellets in some way. If not cooking on a pellet fired grill, then just show how you used pellets to create the smoke (foil pellet pouch, thrown on Grill grates, etc.).

If you're cooking anyway take a few pics and post them here. You get $5 BPS Bucks just for entering & you never know; you may just win something!

Last edited:

SisInLaw

Tomorrow my smoker will be working all day long. I've got about eight or ten different items to go in there. The neighbors will be driven mad by the wondrous smells coming from my yard. Yehaw!

ACW3

Bp,
You really created a monster with your SIL, didn't you? I believe pellet cooking does that to a lot of people.

Art

FLBentRider

Flank Steak fajitas

Flank Steak fajitas
The Mrs marinated 4 flank steaks in lime juice, spices and tequila
I put them on the MAK
DSC_0605Medium.jpg

I took them to an IT of around 130F
Sliced
DSC_0609Medium.jpg

Plated with onions, sauce and cheese, sour cream in there somewhere
DSC_0610Medium.jpg

FLBentRider

Briskets and Polenta part 1

Briskets and Polenta part 1

A couple of Briskets from Sams
DSC_0611Medium.jpg

I asked the Mrs what rub whe wanted, and she handed me two unlabeled leftover bags from the pantry. Mystery rub it is!
DSC_0612Medium.jpg

DSC_0613Medium.jpg

Onto the MAK around 11pm
DSC_0614Medium.jpg

The next morning
DSC_0615Medium.jpg

One is done - into FTC
DSC_0616Medium.jpg

Sliced
DSC_0624Medium.jpg

DSC_0625Medium.jpg

DSC_0626Medium.jpg

FLBentRider

Briskets and Polenta part 2

Briskets and Polenta part 2
FLBentriders Savory Polenta

Start with Bacon
DSC_0617Medium.jpg

Fry until crisp, drain on paper towel, finely dice bacon. leave fat in pan

add onions
DSC_0618Medium.jpg

saute onions 4 to five minutes
DSC_0619Medium.jpg

add garlic and saute a couple more minutes. Then add chicken broth, bring to a boil
DSC_0621Medium.jpg

Add course corn meal slowly, wisking continously.
DSC_0622Medium.jpg

Add bacon.

place in preheated 350F oven. Stir every 10 minutes for 3 cycles, 30-35 minutes.

Add butter, parmesan cheese and salt.

Serve!
DSC_0627Medium.jpg

DSC_0628Medium.jpg

ACW3

That brisket looks wonderful! Juicy, and that smoke ring... I love your variation on polenta. I have already added it to my to-do cook list. The list is getting longer since I am not cooking quite as much lately. I'll have to remedy that situation, soon.

Art

ht01us

Brined grilled chicken using the Grill Grates for the first time.

I've been waiting for weeks to grill some chicken on the MAK. I wanted a nice summer day. Today was that day. First day of 80* this summer; about a month later than normal. Before cooking it was time to enjoy the sun. I put the chairs on the deck and cleaned them up. Took a seat and listened to the Dodgers on the radio. My routine: read, gaze at the sky, doze; repeat.
P1000391.JPG

I was excited to do the brined grilled chicken today; I got to use my Grill Grates for the first time. They fit real nice in the MAK.
P1000392.JPG

Early this morning I brined the chicken in a solution of 4 quarts water, 1/2 cup salt, 1/2 cup sugar. After a walk with Carla, I took them out of the brine and set the grill to 400 with some BBQ Delight oak.

P1000394.JPG

I figure the Grill Grates are the direct heat side. Grill on direct heat for about 8 minutes, then move to the indirect side for about 15 minutes.
P1000398.JPG

P1000402.JPG

I love the Grill Grates; this process can really generate some flame ups. But not with the Grill Grates in place.

Take the chicken off and grill a few limes.
P1000404.JPG

While the chicken grilled we whomped up a sauce
  • 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
  • 2 Tablespoons fish sauce
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 3 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil

Toss the grilled chicken in the sauce and then onto the serving plate with the limes.
P1000408.JPG

Dinner is served
P1000409.JPG

Hey! I remembered to get shots of the grilling and plate this week.

SisInLaw

I went crazy yesterday. Started at seven a.m. chopping up apples for homemade applesauce in my p.j.'s. Started them smoking with two racks of ribs, EVOO'ed and rubbed

IMG_1824.jpg

Put on a few more Armadillo eggs. We made more later in the day. If the pic I sideways, my apologies. p/b won't let me rotate.

IMG_1822.jpg

Big Poppa's Seven way Bypass potatoes/onions

IMG_1828.jpg

Apples are looking good. Doctored and foiled the ribs, threw on a Rib Eye Roast

IMG_1825.jpg

Home made macaroni and cheese. I found a FABULOUS recipe (oops I didn't get a pic of my tri tip)

IMG_1827.jpg

Put cooked applesauce into food processor and it's finished. Yummy!

IMG_1826.jpg

Boo Bear spatchcocking his first chicken. (Note his BP apron)

IMG_1829.jpg

Sliced up the Armadillo eggs and while I was grabbing my camera they were mostly gone. The men especially loved these

IMG_1831.jpg

Steamed artichokes and the potatoes coming along

IMG_1832.jpg

(most) everything served. They fell on the food like rabid wolves. What a fun day! I'm a smoking addict now but I don't wanna be saved.

IMG_1833.jpg

Last edited:

HogSmoker

La-Duck for La-Lunch

100_0500.jpg

5 Duck breast from a friends hunt.
100_0501.jpg

Thawing before marinate.
100_0502.jpg

Marinate with these ingredients.
100_0504.jpg

Cut breast into slices ( note wrap bacon with tooth picks on slices before you marinate ) so much easier.
100_0505.jpg

Bacon wrapped ready for marination.
100_0506.jpg

Left in frige over night ready for the grill
100_0507.jpg

On the grill cooking at 250 degrees indirect with chicken breast and baked taters
100_0508.jpg
100_0509.jpg

Ready for the table
100_0511.jpg

Pretty simple dinner but very good. Hope my friend duck hunts again this year!

smoker pete

Buttermilk Brined Pork Loin

Been reading about the tenderizing properties of Buttermilk and decided to try the technique on a Pork Loin.

Buttermilk Brine:
  • 1 Quart of Buttermilk
  • 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
  • 2 tsp Black Pepper
  • 2 Tbsp Fagundes Seasoning
  • 1 tsp Onion Powder
  • 3 Tbsp Annie's Roasted Garlic EVOO

ButtermilkLoin1.jpg

Used the Marinade Express for 30 minutes to give the Pork Loin a good kick start

ButtermilkLoin2.jpg

Placed the Pork Loin and the brine in a 1 gallon Ziplok bag, double bagged it, in a dish, and overnight in the fridge

ButtermilkLoin4.jpg

Pork Loin in the 225º pre-heated MAK. Using American Broadleaf 60/40 Hickory

ButtermilkLoin5.jpg

Rubbed some taters with Annie's Roasted Garlic EVOO, sprinkled the spuds with Fagundes Seasoning, and in the Infra-Red Roaster for an hour on High for some scrumptious baked potatoes.

ButtermilkLoin7.jpg

Chow time ... Hickory Smoked Buttermilk Brined Pork Loin, baked potatoes, and some fresh Cole Slaw. Pulled the Pork Loin when IT hit 158º and rested under foil tent for 20 minutes. Yes, I am aware of the new USDA temperature settings for pork but SWMBO will not touch pork if it's still pink!!

ButtermilkLoin8.jpg

The money $shot ... Hickory Smoked Buttermilk Pork Loin, Baked Potato, and Cole Slaw ... Bon Appétit ...

ButtermilkLoin9.jpg

The Buttermilk lived up to everything I read about it's tenderizing properties. The Pork Loin was extremely tender and developed a nice smoke ring, with a nice touch of spices without being over powering, and even at the higher temp it was moist.

Deb

It's been a strange weekend and a few things have not gone quite as planned but here we go........

planning for Sunday's dinner......
Friday I did a tri-tip for dinner and while the grill was on threw in a chicken for tonights dinner (horrible pic, the grey on the chicken is actually herbs)
photo-14.jpg

stripped the meat from the bones, set aside and made broth with the chicken bones....

this afternoon while getting tonights dinner ready we munched on this cheesecake that I did yesterday
IMG_0452-1.jpg

details here : http://www.pelletsmoking.com/pelletsmoking-com-gallery-10/nepas-smokeout-recipe-test-1-a-1927/

mixed up a pie crust with fresh herbs(sage, thyme, rosemary & garlic). this is just before it's 45 min rest in the fridge
IMG_0454.jpg

rolled out the bottom crust, filled with chicken, carrots & peas
IMG_0458.jpg

gravy (made from the broth) in the pie, top crust ready
IMG_0460.jpg

topped, crimped, holes cut in the top and into the traeager

started dessert - cobbler like thing - mixed berries & maple sugar topped with cake donut batter (these were supposed to become actual donuts but......) .

dessert went in when the chicken pie was almost done
IMG_0463.jpg

the finished pie
IMG_0464.jpg

dinner
IMG_0469.jpg

dessert
IMG_0473.jpg

Patrick_CT

Dinner for our family.
Grilled Mahi Mahi, roasted potatoes w/ BP LL with black pepper (really love this new addition to my spice rack) and par-boiled then grilled corn. This really brought out the sweetness.. I did some only boiled to compare.. that was left on the plate.
And a cheese pizza for our toddler.. he loved it (and the corn)
P1090066.jpg

Plated:
P1090067.jpg

Then I made my first ever sausage. ground jalapeño, pork and extra sharp cheddar (and a bunch of seasonings). Came out really good but I have no after pics.. went really fast.
P1090071.jpg

Top Bottom