Besides smoking.......

CarterQ

What else do you love to do?

I think it's a given that everyone around here has a passion for smoking, but what are some of the other things that get your juices flowing?

For me a few are:

My Wife

Just being Dad and hanging with the kiddos.

Listening to good music (It's a disease like smoking, I think I have 14,000 some odd songs on the iPod......)

Anything outdoors- Hiking, Camping, Cycling

How about you? What are some of your other passions?

Last edited:

FLBentRider

For me: spending time with the kids, cycling, camping, geocaching (sometimes all at the same time)

Music-wise - I'd rather make my own (Church choir, Barbershop quartet/chorus, guitar playing...)

Deb

besides smoking....... I like to

bake
kayaking
this summer Kevin has decided to figure out how to cook and I'm really enjoying being part of that

sparky

1st) discgolf (won a the ST Patricks Day Discgolf tournament a few years back in my division. a PDGA A tier event. only 2 PDGA A tier event in california a year). a very big deal if you play discgolf.

2nd) like to spend time w/ my wife margaret. we are nothing alike but has the years roll on i love her more each day. :)

3rd) WANT MY KIDS TO MOVE OUT!!! maybe this should be #1. get a college degree and get a job and get the he!! out. this is not my wife's idea. she wants them to stay. she babies them. blah.... i left my house at 16 and moved to hawaii. they should move too.

4th) surfing. everytime we go on vacation to capitola, santa cruz area (our old stomping grounds) i try and get some salt water on my skin. or has my wife likes to say "turn blue". need to get a full wet suit some day.

5th) Qing. i do love to Q stuff. i turn some stuff into fantastic food. to see the whole family sit at the table and complete silence while they are eating is great. love it when they are quiet.

6th) gardening. i love to grow stuff. fruit trees (4 cherry trees, 2 apricot trees, orange, walnut, fig, peach trees). tomatos (all old portuguese gentlemen are suppose to grow them). 8 different types of roses (tea & english roses) and other stuff too.

7th) swimming. love to swim in the pool, ocean or wherever. in the pool i like my floatie thing my wife bought me w/ my beer holder. like that alot. last year i stayed on my floatie thing for over six hours w/ my wife and kids bringing me sandwiches and FT.

bucket list. go to a superbowl, go to indy 500 race, go to the westminster dog show in new york, go on a month long cruise w/ the wife, spend a month on the big island in a shack on the beach and w/ the wife and last is to go surfing w/ kelly slater.

ok, i am done.

Last edited:

TentHunter

Eating!

Oh yeah there's also music. We're a very musical family. I play & sing every weekend at church (Guitar, Bass & keyboard). This past school year I got to be the Bass guitarist for my son's 8th grade middle school Jazz band (highly skilled group of kids playing well beyond their age level). He plays percussion and will be in the drum line in the high school band this coming year. My daughter plays flute in the high school bands.

Plus the whole family is in the Stan Hywet Goodyear Concert Band. My son and I play percussion, my daughter plays flute & my wife plays Alto Sax. We kick off our Summer 12 concert series tomorrow at Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens (F.A. Seiberling's estate - founder of Goodyear Tire Company).

I love hosting the high school band BBQ on the last day of band camp and helping with the bands all through the school year. I also give some private percussion lessons.

Last edited:

nepas

Smoking
BBQ
Hunting
Fishing
Adult Beverages
Sausage Making
Ceeeeegar Smoking

My kids are out....YAY

Oh Yeah

Smoking
BBQ
Hunting
Fishing
Adult Beverages
Sausage Making
Ceeeeegar Smoking

Smoking
BBQ
Hunting
Fishing
Adult Beverages
Sausage Making
Ceeeeegar Smoking

Oh and being with the Mrs

smoker pete

Golfing ...

SmokerPeteGolf.jpg

Fishing ...

SmokerPeteFishing-1.jpg

Travel ...

SmokerPeteYukon.jpg

Rip

Other hobbies:
Flying
Riding the Harley
Photography
Gardening
Being outdoors! Sparky, there's not many things better than spending a lazy day in and around the pool!

Last edited:

Chris231

Other hobbies/passions
My Wife and (almost) 2 year old boy. Who BTY is a very picky eater but loves anything that comes off the Memphis Pro SS!
Triathlon/bicycle racing
Hiking/camping

malawoo

My hobbies cooking of course
Fishing
hunting
riding quads
camping
mountain biking
photography
Of course spending time with the wife
swimming
hiking
also volunteering alot of time fostering and helping out dog rescues in Oregon and Washington
Oh and my kids are out and married for up to 4 years now.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Guitar...bass...ukelele...mandolin...golf.....baseball......cars... I wont admit how many......teaching......mentoring.....reading mysteries.....exploring the net.......

what I would like to do

Write a cookbook....write business book....finally make my own solo record...visit south america...tahiti.....go to race driving school....

ITFD#15

Nice thread.. I sometimes wonder if there is anything other than BBQ that we do.

In no order..
- I love working in my bee yards and teaching people about bees
- Riding my bike, got about 1800km on this year
- Gardening, I am selling my house so have not even started one this year.
- Music is good
- Nascar, have not had much time lately but love it. Go to MIS regularly and Bristol and Martinsville once in a while.
- Soaking my ass in the hot tub
- The fire department, its one of my jobs but I love it.
- And last trying to come up with something new for the grill

cowgirl

I love the outdoors
camping
fishing
hunting
foraging
hiking
I love music...I'm either listening to it or playing it when ever I have the chance.
play guitar
piano
fiddle
mandolin
some banjo (enough to give myself a headache :))
I love any form of outdoor cooking
I love flying ( grew up flying)

Past passions..
dirt bikes
golf ( I don't want to talk about it. lol Maybe I'll take it up again in the future.)

Almost forgot..
riding the horses, even if it's while working..
I love working in my little veggie garden, it's so relaxing.
I enjoy making things.. my smokehouse and little outdoor bar. I make things during the winter to ease my cabin fever. :)

Last edited:

cowgirl

Guitar...bass...ukelele...mandolin...golf.....baseball......cars... I wont admit how many......teaching......mentoring.....reading mysteries.....exploring the net.......

what I would like to do

Write a cookbook....write business book....finally make my own solo record...visit south america...tahiti.....go to race driving school....

BP you could play the fiddle too.... the fingering is the same as a mandolin. The tricky part is not poking anyone's eye out with the bow. :)

Bear

I have two kids, a 14 yr old girl, and an 8 yr old boy, so much of my time is spent "hauling and watching" (haul kid to ball game and watch, haul kid to dance competition and watch, haul kid to gymnastics and watch, etc.) I love my kids and treasure every minute I can spend with them.

Other than that, I have a couple of Labrador Retrievers that play the retriever games (HRC, AKC hunt tests, and field trials), and both have a pile of ribbons and titles to show for it. I also love hunting over them in the fall and winter.

When things are slow, I enjoy a little whisky (Makers Mark), and a nice cigar by the pool.

I love to BBQ for friends and family.

SmokeAndSpice

For me cooking is a passion, whether it's smoking, making sausage, cheesemaking, indoor cooking (spicy and ethnic food especially)... pretty much anything but baking, though I dabble with bread and do the occasional pie. Related to that I have a small salsa and herb garden; brew beer and mead; and am a certified judge for homebrew competitions. I also like listening to music, live or otherwise, and have gotten back into making music after a 30+ year gap (I played trumpet and baritone from grade school through high school in concert and marching bands) through the unlikely avenue of joining a theremin ensemble. I used to do a lot of bicycle day trips and hiking, but haven't done as much of that since starting a family. I still like getting out to the local and regional parks and forests every once in a awhile.

As for childrearing, I view it as more of a full-time job than a hobby. ;)

Top Bottom