Buttermilk Brined Pork Loin

smoker pete

Been reading about the tenderizing properties of Buttermilk and decided to try the technique on a Pork Loin.

Buttermilk Brine:
  • 1 Quart of Buttermilk
  • 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
  • 2 tsp Black Pepper
  • 2 Tbsp Fagundes Seasoning
  • 1 tsp Onion Powder
  • 3 Tbsp Annie's Roasted Garlic EVOO

ButtermilkLoin1.jpg

Used the Marinade Express for 30 minutes to give the Pork Loin a good kick start

ButtermilkLoin2.jpg

Placed the Pork Loin and the brine in a 1 gallon Ziplok bag, double bagged it, in a dish, and overnight in the fridge

ButtermilkLoin4.jpg

Pork Loin in the 225º pre-heated MAK. Using American Broadleaf 60/40 Hickory

ButtermilkLoin5.jpg

Rubbed some taters with Annie's Roasted Garlic EVOO, sprinkled the spuds with Fagundes Seasoning, and in the Infra-Red Roaster for an hour on High for some scrumptious baked potatoes.

ButtermilkLoin7.jpg

Chow time ... Hickory Smoked Buttermilk Brined Pork Loin, baked potatoes, and some fresh Cole Slaw. Pulled the Pork Loin when IT hit 158º and rested under foil tent for 20 minutes. Yes, I am aware of the new USDA temperature settings for pork but SWMBO will not touch pork if it's still pink!!

ButtermilkLoin8.jpg

The money $shot ... Hickory Smoked Buttermilk Pork Loin, Baked Potato, and Cole Slaw ... Bon Appétit ...

ButtermilkLoin9.jpg

The Buttermilk lived up to everything I read about it's tenderizing properties. The Pork Loin was extremely tender and developed a nice smoke ring, with a nice touch of spices without being over powering, and even at the higher temp it was moist.

smoker pete

Pete : I don't have a Marinade Express, but I have to try this it really looks good !

Since it's a brine HogSmoker you shouldn't need something like a Marinade Express. I have one so I decided to use it but I think if you just brined overnight it should work out just fine like any other brine on meat.

TentHunter

Wow Pete, do I like this!

I've used buttermilk for fish, chicken & cubed steaks, but never pork or pork loin. It sure looks super delicious & tender! :) I love your addition of the pepper, garlic & spices too.

did the meat pick up the buttermilk flavor?

Cubed steaks, because of the crevices, will hold lots of buttermilk when I plan to dredge in flour & fry them up for country fried steaks. It gives the batter (not the meat) that buttermilk flavor that is so good! Same thing with fried fish ;).

cowgirl

I do the same as Cliff.. use it with chicken, fish, etc.. Had not thought to try a pork loin. Looks fantastic Pete, Thanks for posting!

Top Bottom