Alentejo Style Roast Pork with Batatas Assadas (roasted taters)

CarterQ

My Portuguese mother in law came over for dinner tonight so I wanted to play with the Portuguese cookbook and find something for the the grill.

Decided to do Roasted Pork with a sweet red pepper paste and portuguese roasted potatoes (Batatas Assadas)

Here we go-

Start with a chunk of pork loin, bay leaves, paprika, garlic, olive oil, and sweet red pepper paste

874a0c68.jpg

Grind the garlic, paprika, and bay leaves with a mortar an pestle and then add the pepper paste and olive oil

cbc09c61.jpg

Score the pork loin in a crosshatch pattern and rub the pork with the paste getting the paste down into the slices

cb841e40.jpg

For the taters, toss new potato wedges with paprika, garlic, salt, pepper, parsley and olive oil and place in a roasting pan

82521995.jpg

Place the pork and taters on the MAK running @300 on BBQers Delight Oak. It's best to roast the meat with the potatoes to get the flavor of the drippings into the potatoes.

9833a83c.jpg

Looking good after a couple of hours

95275192.jpg

Taters done

30bac8cd.jpg

Pork pulled @150, rested and sliced

66f938f7.jpg

Served up with a glass of Portuguese beer (Super Bock) and we are ready to go

18fa5b9e.jpg

Dinner is served

82a0f145.jpg

This came out awesome, the meat was simple with a great smoky pork flavor shining through and the potatoes were off the chart, imagine a smoked linguica flavor. This was a killer meal and we will definitely do this again.

TentHunter

I love the portuguese theme.

Wow, just look at all that caramelized surface area created by the deep scoring. Yum!!! (That's the way I learned to do Jerk Pork) I bet the pork juices dripping into the potatoes made them even better. Nice cook Carter!

CarterQ

Thanks everyone this is one of those simple recipes that everyone thinks you worked really hard to make. I will post the recipe for the rub tomorrow along with the recipe for red pepper paste.

Top Bottom