Have MAK - will travel

squirtthecat

Heading up to my buddy's house for a long weekend. LPGA tournament is right in his back yard. Along with his collection of smokers - I figured I would bring my MAK 1 Star so we can practice cooking some chicken on it. (for a friendly little competition/charity event in Paducah this September)

Oh yeah - and KyNola is bringing like 250 pounds of meat tomorrow afternoon. ;)

First - remove all the guts and pellets and the side shelf.

Second - find the phone. :)

I spread out a thickly folded 16x25 poly tarp in the bed of my Lil' Ranger. Hoisted the MAK up on some full cat litter buckets. (these things are indispensable)

20110608182613.jpg

Some creative bungee work to secure the hopper and lid.

20110608182637.jpg

To protect the hopper lid - as it sticks out the back a little bit - I grabbed a couple big magnets to use as spacers.

20110608182625.jpg

Ok, so the MAK is up high now, and the center of gravity should be above the tailgate.

Archimedes! Archimedes! Archimedes! And a gentle flop.

20110608182852.jpg

Glad I used the poly tarp - it slid right up with some minor persuasion.

20110608183218.jpg

Again with the cat litter... Wedge it in tight.

20110608183632.jpg

Racks, pans, upper racks, griddle, frog mat, etc. - bagged up. And about 30 pounds of pellets.

20110608184640.jpg

Another 50 pounds of pellets, tools, and my mechanics gloves. That MAK is slippery!

20110608184727.jpg

The tarp is folded up just to keep any rain off tonight. I'll fold it back and tuck it down before I get on the interstate tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

SisInLaw

Both ways to move the smokers are impressive but we really all need that hitch Jimsbarbeque has wrangled. Big Poppa, let's get that thing in the online store!

squirtthecat

Well, we made it safe and sound. Here it is in a far more lush setting than my patio.

IMGP3109.JPG

Who says a MAK doesn't smoke??

IMGP3085.JPG

Hopefully we didn't bother the golfers much.

IMGP3093.JPG

Did some wings to snack on. Coated in Carolina Treet and Little Louie's.

IMGP3104.JPG

Then the main event... Tri Tip!

IMGP3105.JPG

KyNola has a guy at a butcher shop than can get them - so he brought us 8. :cool:

I've never seen one of these, much less cooked one. Started at 250° for about 30 minutes, and then 325° until it was time to come off.

Pulled around 130° and tented for a while. We had been snacking on a bunch of other stuff before we sliced this baby up.

IMGP3114.JPG

Wow.

IMGP3130.JPG

Just wow.

IMGP3141.JPG

We stood there and ate off of the cutting board.

IMGP3135.JPG

More to come - today through Sunday afternoon! I'll try to sneak some pellets in my buddy's big STUMP Stretch tonight.

Big Poppa

Administrator
OK SQUI Let me help you as a central california guy...cook the tri tip at 275....seriously flip at 110....pull at 140 then crank it up and sear for 2 minutes a side. and CUT agianst the grain...very important with tri tip you are a little cross grained there....I mean these hints with all the respect in the world....

Hobbit

I have been really enjoying this post. We have been thinking about loading up #402 and doing a cook at a friends house about 60 miles away. The way I thought about loading a moving would not have gone well. Thanks for the different example.

Top Bottom