Disaster BBR

bsotoy

Just a little help please? Smoked some BBR yesterday for company last night, and it was disaster. Ribs were technically done but WOW were the red in color. This was my timing.
4 1/2 hours smoke, average temp around 175 deg. Internal at 151 deg. when foiled.
1 1/2 hours foiled on 185 deg.
45 minutes back on the Trager @ around 250 deg.
Prep was... Ribs basted overnight with Chipolte mustard, some rub and light coating of brown sugar.

Bark was good color, and very slight pull from the bone..
Color was just the way I like my NY Strip, unfortunatly, not the correct color for my guests eating pork.

I am thinking about going into rehap. This forum has set some very, very high expectations... give me your best shot to correct this mess... please!
Barry

FLBentRider

IMHO, temps too low.

BBR's can be really meaty and need more time.

I do 3-4 hours on SMOKE (MAK 175-195F) then do 225F until they "flex" the way I like them.

Raw they will be really floppy, then when they heat up they will tighten up, as they get tender the meat starts to relax. I pick them up with tongs and test the flex. If they are over done they will fall apart.

To re-think your steps, I would go to 225-250F after the 4 1/2 hours smoke.

Big Poppa

Administrator
I dont ever smoke ribs first I set the temp anywhere between 225 and 275 and let them go...If Im foiling I do it at two hour and let it continue to cook for two hours at 250...You smoked it way too long

sparky

i cook my ribs @ 275º for 3 1/2 hours or so. perfect everytime. i also use the toothpick method BP taught me. works perfect.

Bear

I don't like to put anything on ribs overnight either. You may make them taste like ham. The meat on ribs is thin enough that they can actually start a curing process from salt or sugar in the rub.

TentHunter

One time (and one time only) I slow smoked ribs with a very similar low temp method you described and got ribs that were done, but very smoky and very, very pink. They were definitely done, they only looked undercooked and pink all the way through because that's how deeply the nitric acid reaction ran (i.e. a very deep smoke ring).

I actually use this method if hot-smoking uncured Kielbasa sausage to get a very deep smoke ring that runs almost all the way through to the center giving it a nice pink color.

For ribs I didn't like the results, so I've never repeated them.

Last edited:

bsotoy

Thanks for the replies. Did not think of the "partial curing" overnight Bear. Seems to be some consistency from each on my low temp and cooking time. Will kick up the heat and bring down the time. Lesson learned.
Sparky, appreciate the "tooth pick" idea. What kind of internal temp on final cooking do you look for, if any?
Looking forward to recieving my first shippment of pellets from BPS.. maybe today.

Big Poppa

Administrator
You can tell the internal temp best with the toothpick if its butter its done....you can also do the bend test....pick up one end of the rib....if its rigid its not done if its bends in the middle nice and easy its done if it breaks it is overcooked but it will be fall off the bone and your guests will think you are a rock star.

I think one of the biggest things is that when we start off on this journey our frame of reference was boiled ribs with a sear and a slathering of sauce....we were programmed to believe that was a good rib. Once you get into it you realize how much of the beautiful flavor was boiled out of the meat....also you discover the very best rib is right at that verge of falling off the bone...

HogSmoker

You can tell the internal temp best with the toothpick if its butter its done....you can also do the bend test....pick up one end of the rib....if its rigid its not done if its bends in the middle nice and easy its done if it breaks it is overcooked but it will be fall off the bone and your guests will think you are a rock star.

I think one of the biggest things is that when we start off on this journey our frame of reference was boiled ribs with a sear and a slathering of sauce....we were programmed to believe that was a good rib. Once you get into it you realize how much of the beautiful flavor was boiled out of the meat....also you discover the very best rib is right at that verge of falling off the bone...

Aman- BP preach it!

SmokeAndSpice

BP you're right about that. I grew up hating ribs-- fatty, chewy, no flavor, lots of sticky sauce. When I finally had *real* BBQ ribs I swear I heard a chorus of angels singing.

For what it's worth I start and end between 220 and 230 for ribs, no lower temp step.

bsotoy

could of bought a lot of toothpicks with the money spent on the high tech digital gadit? But one thing I know for sure... when momma puts the toothpick in the cake... and it comes out clean... I had to fight three brothers to get there first..

sparky

BP taught me about cooking ribs on his video. i just tweaked it a bit. watch BP video on ribs. also carter was the one who also told me about cooking ribs at 275º. oh, it was bear who told me about foiling them. so i learned for each of them. when i see them i will probably have to slip them each a 20 spot.

Top Bottom