pellet smoking in high wind area

yo yo

Hi Everyone
I am looking at purchasing a pellet smoker. MAK 1 star is the preference if the budget ca be expanded by $400 :D. So if you have any budget friendly pellet smokers that deliver on quality let me know. I have looked at Traeger Lil' Texas but the china manufacturing is a bit off putting and problems I've been reading about.

My real question is using pellet smokers in the wind. I am in southern Alberta here and because we are on an acreage that is not very closed in with trees we can get some pretty high winds around the house. Our 2 burner gas grill has bit the dust, which was ineffective in the wind unless you liked eating charcoal, which we seem to have an aversion to :)
Thanks for your replys.
yo

Last edited:

Rip

Welcome yo yo! I have a MAK2. Build is similar to a MAK1. I have cooked in 30+mph winds, drizzle, rain, snow, etc. I've had no trouble with weather affecting the cook....maybe the Cook, but not the cook. Pellet burn is very efficient with litle ash to blow around, especially if you clean it regularly, (and you should.) The firebox, pellet bin, and auger are all well protected from ambient conditions. Still, it's best to cover it when not in use. So, budget for a cover as well.

Buffalotom

I would echo Rip. When I was cooking with my Traeger, any significant wind would shut down my smoke. With the Mak, it is so sealed that wind is not a problem. What a relief to not have to worry about even a stiff breeze.

sparky

mine works in all weather. i cooked last weekend and it rained the entire weekend. i got real wet but my maks fine.

yo yo

Thanks for the responses everyone.
I live 1 hr east of Lethbridge, AB. I had talked to big poppa and they mentioned they had just shipped their first one to Canada, it must have been yours smokerjoe. :)
Lethbridge has 116 days per year of 25 mph winds, we maybe get a few less windy days but we can get some pretty gusty days at about 60 mph.
Has anyone tried their smoker at negative Fahrenheit digits, though I might have to convince myself to go out first.
yo

BBQ Joe

I have a lot of wind in my yard too. The MAK works great at temps below 350 for doing ribs, chicken etc., but sometimes has trouble reaching hi temps for doing steaks if the wind is too high. I am going to make a portable fence out of some plywood for those days when it is windy per Jim's advice. I have found though that with the grill grates, you can still sear a steak very well at 375.

squirtthecat

The MAK 1 Star has a baffle over the exhaust vents. I've found that it helps significantly when I am cooking out in the high winds.

Keeping the foil pans from blowing away is a whole different problem... ;)

Top Bottom