First Beef Brisket

LarryF

I have been reading all the posts that I can find about smoking a beef brisket. I am trying to figure out when I need to start it if I want it for Dinner around 5 PM on Sunday. The one I bought is 14.25 lbs. I probably should have started with one a little smaller, but hey, that's what was available. If I figure an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes per pound I am looking at anywhere between fourteen and eighteen hours. Most of the posts that I have read don't have you cooking it for that long. I intend to do the foil thing when the internal temp hits between 155-165. Does this cut down on the time it will take to get up to the 190-210 temp I am looking for? Am I missing something here? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Larry

smoker pete

I don't foil my brisket Larry. Not saying it's wrong ... it's just my preference. So I can't help you with the method you're thinking of using.

Did a 12lb brisket the other day at 225º and 18 hours later pulled it when the IT hit 197º (195º-205º). Then Foil, Towel, Cooler (FTC) for 3 hours. Total time was 21 hours. I used 1.5 hours/lb as an estimate.

Just remember that it will stall ... Every brisket is different so the stall time/temp will vary. Usually the stall will occur around the 160º range.

Hobbit

I did my very first brisket last weekend and I was quite happy with the results. It was a small brisket (6 pounds) that I got at Costco. I started it as 8:30 AM at 220 with the meat probe looking for 165. That didn't happen until almost 3PM. I then foiled after adding 1/4 cup of beef stock (next time I'll use apple juice) and then put it back on the grill set for 250 with the meat probe looking for 190.

I hit 190 at 4:45. After pulling, I tented and let rest for 20 minutes and then carved. Very moist and tender, good flavor and great for brisket sandwiches.

Since most of the brisket magic occurs while looking for 165, the time to finish the cook at 190 was relatively short in comparison. As Smoker Pete says I did watch the cook appear to "stall" and if I hadn't known it was going to happen and the reason why I undoubtedly would have raised the temperature to "help" it along. This is where patience really pays off.

So I would say keep a good record of what you do, have fun, and enjoy your first brisket.

TentHunter

Does this cut down on the time it will take to get up to the 190-210 temp I am looking for?

Yes, foiling cuts down on cooking time considerably. Foil or not, both methods can turn out some great brisket. It becomes a matter of preference and how you like your bark to develop.

Here's a foiling method I often use with great results.

First, don't foil until the outside's around 140° AND has developed a good color. Put the brisket in foil (or foil pan), add a little braising liquid & wrap/cover tightly. I don't worry so much about the final temp. If a thermometer slides in like butter, its done (usually 195-205°). Then I usually separate the point & flat by cutting through the fat separating the two cuts.

The Flat gets a little more rub (mainly the area that was against the point) then put back on at a higher temp to finish off the bark (10-20 min.). Rest at least 10 - 15 minutes then slice.

The point I either cut into cubes for Burnt Ends, or re-foil to rest and pull for pulled beef sammies (yum!).

For Burnt Ends: Apply more rub to the cubes & put them back on UNCOVERED at a higher temp to create a little bark. After 10 min. or so toss them in a little sauce then back on for another 10 min. or so to glaze/caramelize (Burnt ends also = yummy!).

Here's a small whole brisket I just did this way: Getting foiled with a braising liquid (Brown Sugar, Beer, Cider Vinegar, red pepper flakes) covered tightly and back on the smoker.
SMBRISK4.JPG

The flat finishing off & the Point cubed for burnt ends and finishing off.
SMBRISK5.JPG

Hope this helps; Good luck and I hope your first brisket comes out great.! :)

Cliff

Last edited:

LarryF

Thanks for the advise guys! Any idea about how long it will take to hit the 160 range? I am thinking about putting it on the grill before I go to bed tonight and setting an alarm.

LarryF

Put the dry rub on.
Extra virgin olive oil for paste.
1cup chili powder
2 Tbs garlic powder
6 Tsp black pepper
2 Tsp cayenne peper
I am on a no sugar no carb diet so I couldn't put any brown sugar or beer on it.
DSCF0020.jpg

Last edited:

TentHunter

Looking good so far!

Any idea about how long it will take to hit the 160 range?

Depends upon your pit temp(s) and temp of the meat when you put it on. But for a 14 ½ lb brisket... If your meat is around 40° & your pit is around 180° - 200° for the first hour or two (smoke mode), then bumped to 225° - 250° then my guess is about 5 hours or so then it will most likely stall. That's probably as good time as any to foil if you plan to. Otherwise let it ride and it will eventually come out of the stall.

Waiting to see how it turns out!

Uinta smoking

I did a briskey last week, it was great. The problem is I don't remember how I did it. I should have logged it with Jimsbbq log.
About an 8 pounder
rubbed with GM Smokehouse Maple.
Used apple pellets.
On the pit at about 7AM on smoke (traeger non-digital controller),checked at about 2:30 or 3:00. IT 190, FTC for about 3 hours. This was good,moist and tender. That's the best I can do to help ya.

LarryF

Hit 160 at 3:15. Five hours and fifteen minutes after I put it on. Put it in a foil pan and added 10 oz beef broth, red pepper flakes, onion powder, and covered.
Just pulled it at 8:45. Internal temp 203. Letting it rest for a couple of hours.
DSCF0027.jpg

TentHunter

It looks like your first brisket is going to be a winner Larry!

Mmm-mmm, I like your addition of onion powder :). Try covering the brisket with onion slices sometime while foiling/braising. You'll love how they caramelize with the juices.

Last edited:

LarryF

It cooked a bit more than I would have liked for slicing. However, the taste is awesome. Thanks everybody for you help!
DSCF0029.jpg

Hobbit

It looks good. Very nice for your first brisket. Like TH comments above, there are other things you can try to make a good effort great. This is where some good notes come in and be sure to document your post cooking impressions so you will remember to try something different next time. (or make it the same).

LarryF

I am definitely pleased with the results. Tastes great! Next time I will give the no foil method a try.

Top Bottom