Pulled Pork Arepas with Guasacaca Sauce

Deb

Wow, pretty close :cool: ! Last fall my cousin and I were in Norwalk, CT, we decided to go check out a place that had been on Diner's, Drive ins & Dives which serves Venezuelan food. Welcome to Valencia Luncheria! We both ordered Arepas. I ordered mine with Pernil (Venezuelan roast pork) . The first bite was great - it's hard not to like a warm corn cake filled with pulled pork (My first comment was that the pork needed smoke ;) ). There were two sauces on the table - the green sauce produced a WOW moment . We sat there eating, happy and trying to figure out what was in the sauce - we came up with cilantro, garlic, avocado, vinegar, probably parsely, oil. After a little google search , we figured out the sauce was Guasacaca . Then we found this recipe on food network Guasacaca Sauce Recipe : George Duran : Food Network It sounded right but the picture looked too thick . We got together this winter for a sausage making day and we decided to try to recreate the arepas for lunch using pulled pork from the freezer. We made the sauce using extra olive oil - first try and we had it. The arepas themselves were disappointing , we found the special cornmeal that we needed - Masarepa and used the package directions - mix, wait 5 minutes, shape and cook on a griddle. They were too dry and not cooked enough. I was thinking about them the other day and decided to try again..............

Early,early this morning....

boneless pork butt - opened it up , made a bunch of holes with a knife and dumped some mojo marinade in. Tied it back up covered it with more marinade, a good sprinking of Soileaus and then some plowboys yardbird
photo-16.jpg

into the pellet grill with a turkey meatloaf
photo-19.jpg

just about done
IMG_0481.jpg

the Guasacaca - onion, avocado, green pepper, cilantro, parsley,garlic red wine vinegar salt & pepper - good ride in the food processor then drizzle olive oil into the food processor
photo-20.jpg

photo-22.jpg

making the arepas
simple - masarepa, water and salt - mix, cover wait 5 minutes, knead - making sure there is enough water, shape,
photo-18-1.jpg

onto a hot oiled griddle for a little color and then into the oven to bake
photo-19-1.jpg

Pulled pork Arepa with Guasacaca plated with some black bean/corn salad
croppedarepas.jpg

Last edited:

SmokeAndSpice

That looks great! My wife (a Texan, though born and raised in South America compliments of Texaco)) and I were just talking about arepas a couple days ago. Your photos and story makes me want to make them.

ACW3

Deb,
Another culinary masterpiece! That sauce looks interesting. I may have to give it a try.

Art

TentHunter

Those look so appestizing I want to jump through my computer screen (I hope lunch gets here soon)!

Can you post more details on the Arepa recipe? Are you using regular Masa, or is it a special masa made for these?

Last edited:

Deb

Cliff - I used masarepa - goya brand is what I was able to find - it's a little different than masa - more cornmeal like but very, very fine.

I used the recipe below but used more water. When I used the amount it called for it the dough was cracking. I just kept kneading more in until it felt right (not that I knew what that really was ). It was smooth like playdough consistency when I was done (only smelled much better).

Stuffed Cornbread: Arepas Recipe : Tyler Florence : Food Network

Smokin Don

Hello, sure wish you lived close enough for me to try some of your food!! This looks delicious! I tried arepas once but didn't come out very good. Smokin Don

Top Bottom