Know your cooker/ Biscuit test

Big Poppa

Administrator
This is something I do with all my smokers. Jim uses thermometers and knows his to a tee. I am more visual so I just want to know the temp across the grill. I buy a pack of the refrigerator biscuits and space them across the grill and cook according to directions. I like the biscuit test because afterwards you can put some Texas Pepper jelly and butter and sinfully eat them where as you cannot eat thermometers! hahaha

Here are the pics from my Memphis Pro test.

P1000791.jpg

P1000794.jpg

P1000795.jpg

So these are actually pretty good..... I know when I cook that the things that I want to cook faster I use center back and center front...which makes sense based on the location of the firepot

jmeitz

Here is my test. 400 degrees 8 minutes. Looks very even. the front ones looked washed out in the photo though.

66962_1539236134107_1631036211_1252491_5272398_n.jpg

Bear

Here is my test. 400 degrees 8 minutes. Looks very even. the front ones looked washed out in the photo though.

They seem more brown on the left side of each biscuit. Maybe because the heat comes from the left side instead of from below? Are they brown on the bottom?

jmeitz

when i pulled them they seemed pretty even, not sure if its the pic or not. I will do this again sometime and get a better pic when i dont have to use the flash. They were brown on bottom but not as crisp since it cooks top down. I expect that though.

Phrett Bender

I've done the same test, and also one with a bunch of temp probes and the Stoker graphing everything. It really makes a difference knowing where you grill cooks faster and slower. I keep a pic of the biscuit results in a baggie clipped to the grill for fast, easy reference.

Top Bottom