Beef Kielbasa & Pepperoni

TentHunter

I usually make Smoked Kielbasa from pork, but have been wanting to do some from beef, so I picked up 10 lbs. 80/20 Ground Beef from the butcher.

The last pepperoni sticks I made disappeared quickly so, 5 lbs was mixed into pepperoni and went into the fridge for a 3 day cure.
BEEFPEP1.JPG

The other five pounds was mixed into kielbasa and stuffed into hog casings.
BKIELB01.JPG

It was cold smoked for a few hours with a blend of Apple & Black Walnut pellets then hot smoked until an I.T. of 150°.
BKIELB02.JPG

Cooled & sliced into sections to be used for later meals.
BKIELB03.JPG

The Apple/Black Walnut smoke turned out to be a very nice robust blend - I like it on this Beef Kielbasa :).

More Pepperoni pics to come...

Last edited:

Rip

Sorry Cliff, missed this post on the 13th...great looking kielbasa and pepperoni sticks!

CarterQ

Good lookin stuff there Cliff, I like the idea of Sasparilla smoke too. Can't wait till life slows down a tad and I can wade into the world of sausage making (hopefully this fall)

TentHunter

Here's the pepperoni pics:

Snack sticks & a large Sandwich Pepperoni (in cotton casing) on the smoker, hot-smoked with a pouch of Apple & Black Walnut pellets to an i.t. of 150°. Cooling/Blooming -->
BEEFPEP2.JPG

Note: Last time NePas suggested I try drying the meat sticks in a paper bag sitting in the fridge. The paper bag gives a nice slow controlled drying and no sweating. I like the darker color from blooming while in the warm dehydrator. So I combined the two methods and it worked great!

24 hours in the dehydrator then into a paper bag & fridge to finish drying.
BEEFPEP3.JPG

Sandwich Pepperoni sliced for some pizza.
BEEFPEP4.JPG

Thanks!

Last edited:

sparky

nice. real nice. i wish i know how to make sausage. i love breakfast links and hot links. if i came home w/ sausage making stuff my wife would shoot me. :(

TentHunter

...I like the idea of Sasparilla smoke too.

I love Sassafras and have some root I harvested for making tea. Sassafras is one of the flavors that Candy Sue sells, so I'll be getting get a bag to try. I wish Big Poppa sold these (hint, hint ;)).

Can't wait till life slows down a tad and I can wade into the world of sausage making (hopefully this fall)

Don't wait, its not that hard and you DON'T need special equipment to get started. I started about 7 or 8 years ago out of necessity (allergies) and keep learning & adding varieties.

...i wish i know how to make sausage. i love breakfast links and hot links. if i came home w/ sausage making stuff my wife would shoot me. :(

Are you guys interested in a post showing some homemade Italian and/or Brats using NO specialized equipment and NO need to stuff in casings?

Last edited:
Top Bottom