Alder Smoked Wild Alaskan Sockeye Salmon

smoker pete

Been craving some fish so grabbed a few portions of Costco Wild Alaskan Sockeye Salmon from the freezer to hot smoke. Pre-heated the MAK to 225º using American Broadleaf 60/40 Alder and lightly sprinkled a little seasoning to taste.

Salmon1.jpg

Even at 225º, the MAK does a great job at providing ample smoke.

Salmon2.jpg

An hour later the Sockeye Salmon easily flaked with a fork. When I was in Alaska last summer, I tried to no avail to get me a bunch of Reds (Sockeye) on the Kenai River :( It's hard to beat a Sockeye Salmon. It's all good :D

Salmon3.jpg

The money $shot ... A portion of Salmon, lightly smoked with Alder, with a side of corn and a little salad ... Bon Appétit

Salmon4.jpg

TentHunter

Lookin' good! I'd love me some of that smoked salmon :).

I may have to go get a bag of Alder pellets to try on salmon & seafood.

smoker pete

Lookin' good! I'd love me some of that smoked salmon :).

I may have to go get a bag of Alder pellets to try on salmon & seafood.

Started using Alder years ago with my other smoker TentHunter. Alder is often used in the North West and especially in Seattle. Has a wonderful taste and aroma. When I normally smoke salmon using my other smoker it takes me at least 8 hours

100°-120°F for 1-2 hours, then increase to
140° for 2-4 hours, then increase to
175° for 1-2 hours to finish

Unfortunately, I can't get that low on the MAK so I'm trying to develop a good 'hot' smoked recipe. I think next time I'll brine the salmon overnight.

Bear

Started using Alder years ago with my other smoker TentHunter. Alder is often used in the North West and especially in Seattle. Has a wonderful taste and aroma. When I normally smoke salmon using my other smoker it takes me at least 8 hours

100°-120°F for 1-2 hours, then increase to
140° for 2-4 hours, then increase to
175° for 1-2 hours to finish

Unfortunately, I can't get that low on the MAK so I'm trying to develop a good 'hot' smoked recipe. I think next time I'll brine the salmon overnight.

Could you start it out in the warming tray?

ACW3

I have cold smoked steelhead trout on my MAK (in the warming tray). If the outside temperature is too warm, I have resorted to using a pan filled with ice to help keep the temps down. It comes out like lox. Easily sliced with a sharp knife and tastes really good on a good bagel (hard to find in NC) or on an English muffin with cream cheese, of course. I use the Alton Brown method of a dry brine to draw out a lot of the liquid from the filets.

Art

SisInLaw

Interesting. I never think about fish. I'm mostly a shellfish person--you know--shrimp, lobster, crab. Even scallops. But lately I've been enjoying salmon. On top I love lots of lemon and tartar sauce. Your salmon looks yummy, Pete.

Smokin Don

Nice looking salmon Pete, good photos. Back in 1967 I spent a yr at King Salmon AFB Alaska compliments of USAF. A whole summer of fishing on the King Salmon River, largest salmon was a 47 lb King. Best vacation I ever had! Smokin Don

Top Bottom