Bacon ... Pellet Grill Style

smoker pete

Decided to see what all the fervor is all about concerning cooking Bacon on a Pellet Grill! Like most people, I have fried bacon on the stove where it sits in tons of grease as it shrivels down to 70-50% of its original size. Not knowing any better, I never thought to do it any other way until I read on some Forums how great Bacon can be cooked in a Pellet Grill.

Bacon1.jpg

Pre-heated the MAK 2 Star with Hickory wood pellets to 350ºF. Laid out 2-lbs of Farmers Natural Applewood Smoked Center Cut Bacon from Costco on a Frogmat.

Bacon2.jpg

Flipped the Bacon after 15 minutes. The first thing I noticed is that the Bacon was not shriveling compared to a frying pan on the stove. This procedure is similar to the results one would achieve in the oven at 350ºF with the exception that the Pellet Grill does not make a mess or heat up the kitchen and the MAK also adds a nice touch of Hickory while cooking.

Bacon3.jpg

30 minutes into the cook I started pulling Bacon strips that met my desired taste. I have always preferred my Bacon to be a little on the chewy side rather than crisp. By 45 minutes, all the Bacon was done to perfection :cool:

Bacon4.jpg

Having cooked this thick Bacon countless times on the stove I was impressed with the basic lack of shrinkage and the flavor was incredible. This Bacon actually had a WOW factor ... the intense combination of flavors achieved by the original Applewood Smoking combined with the Hickory was intense. It was like someone sprinkled the Bacon with magic flavor dust :D

Bacon5.jpg

Fried up a few eggs to compliment that scrumptious Bacon ... I have now found my preferred method of fixing Bacon. Had a BLT for lunch just to make sure the Bacon was still good and ... YES it was !!

Bacon6.jpg

Hobbit

I am like Smoker Pete...I never thought about cooking bacon on the MAK. Shipboard bacon is cooked in sheet pans under the broiler and sits in it grease. This looks so much better that I will have to try it as an experiment. Like Sparky I am not supposed to eat something like that ...lecture coming my way but it will be for science....

ACW3

Hobbit,
Are you or were you a "bubblehead"? I qualified many years ago on a fast attack as a sonar technician.

Art

sparky

i spend 2 1/2 years on a high endurance cutter in the bering sea and 2 years at a small boat station in humboldt bay in the early 70's. i was a bosn'mate 2 class. we used to skate board on the helo deck on the cutter when we were under way. only 1 guy feel off. he landed in the cargo nets. lost alot of skate boards. much easier to loose a skate board then fall off the flight deck 60 feet to the water while underway. what fun. :)

Last edited:

Rip

I'm a bubblehead according to my wife... and boss. :p

Oh yeah, the bacon looks great too Pete!

Haha, your avatar is not doing much to dispel that notion....Oh wait, I'm mixing up bubblehead and bobblehead! :)

Pete, welcome to the "only way to cook bacon" club!

Deb

Haha, your avatar is not doing much to dispel that notion....Oh wait, I'm mixing up bubblehead and bobblehead! :)

Pete, welcome to the "only way to cook bacon" club!

LOL, I resisted the urge to comment on that......

Pete - nice bacon, it is the only way to cook it.

Hobbit

Art and Smoker Pete, yep I'm Qualified. I first went to sea in '73 on a tin can (USS Preble) and did a tour on the gun line. After that I volunteered for Subs after a tour on a nuke cruiser (USS Bainbridge). I started as a STG and converted to STS and then put two new construction 688 class boats in commission. Left the Navy at 10 years as an STS1(SS). I work for the Navy and design and support submarine and deep submergence systems as well as the lead for support for the SEAwolf class as well as the new Virginia class. Lots of friends and shipmates from those times. My avatar is a 688 doing an EMBT blow from depth. Thanks for asking.
I still think this way to do bacon is great, will try it this weekend.

ACW3

Yep, there are two kinds of people in this world. Those that are qualified and those that are NQP. I got out after 7 years as an STS1(SS). Spent the last several days with a good Navy friend from Texas. What stories we could still tell. (All true, of course). We did have some wonderful times on my last assignment in Hawaii on the original "groom team". I wonder what my life would have been like if I had stayed in the Navy. (Actually, I might not be married today).

Art

TentHunter

LOL, I resisted the urge to comment on that......

LOL!!!! You should see the full size original! That was done at Bush Gardens VA. in April while on the spring trip with the H.S. Band. Everybody howls when they see it.

Top Bottom