Developing skills

LarryF

You guys cook some bad ass BBQ. Mine isn't resembling yours yet. When you were getting started did you pick a particular cut of meat and try every variation until you found what worked for you on your grill? I have been all over the board since I got my Treager with varying degrees of success. I guess what I am asking is if I should just keep track of the recipes that work? Concentrate on a particular type on meat (E.G. Pork, beef, E.T.C.). Concentrate on a particular type and cut of meat.
How did you get your start?

scooter

Keep a record of everything you cook whether it worked or not. The other half of repeating your successes is not repeating your failures.

I'm constantly tweeking my recipes and processes for all meats. I've never concentrated on a particular cut until I got it right. My biggest fear in doing that is that my family (or me) will get sick of that particular cut so I continually mix it up to keep them interested.

Rip

Ditto what Scooter said. Also, browse the gallery for ideas on cooks and processes. If you have questions about how something was done, most members are happy to share details on their process. Keep a notebook handy when you browse the forum, jot down any tips, tricks, or ideas you see. It's an evolving process for all of us. Constantly tweaking your process is part of what makes this hobby fun!

Trooper

Scooter, RIP and me are in the same playbook on this one. Love to keep notes and review them before cooking the same thing again. & tweaking it just a tad more.
Another personal rule that I have is that I don't experiment on guests. I make sure I have everything well rehersed with several completed cookings before I prepare it for guests.

But, it won't be long and you'll have quite a portfolio of your specialties.

TentHunter

...Mine isn't resembling yours yet...

Believe me, our then's didn't resemble our now's either. ;) I also bet most folks would say we're all STILL learning, tweaking and having a blast on this journey!

Double Ditto what Scooter, Rip & Trooper said.

Other considerations: Think of the cooking method and seasoning as two separate components of a cook. Learn if/when/how they affect each other and your final product. Learn all you can about the different cooking methods & different cuts of meat (where they come from on the animal, fat marbling, etc. affects flavor & tenderness). Learn the taste of your herbs & Spices. Smell & taste them. Toast them in a pan then smell & taste them again.

The journey is great, have fun!

Big Poppa

Administrator
I dont take notes. But I dont in life either...no calendar...its in the coconut for me. Whatever works though

I think that you should review the Big Poppas Keys to Happiness on the top of the forum....

Understanding what pit temp and what desired internal meat temp are the two most basic and keys to success no matter what you cook
I was talking with a BPS team member yesterday and we have gotten firsts with all different flavor profiles....when we win or do well we have cooked the meat and timed the cook perfectly...I believe that a good flavor profile will not save a bad cook but a good cook can make most profiles decent.

Also keep it simple....You are not a better cook if you think you have to add five extra flavors. My hobby is cooking has been for many years...I have been through Pacific Rim, Italian, californian, Mexican...a little french...I will use Italian as an example...Check out the California italian cooks of most food network italian chefs...Tons of ingredients...For awhile it was sundried tomato in EVERYTHING! Look at the very best Italian chefs and their books...most recipes have no more than 4or 5 ingredients....I draw a parallel to smoking and Italian in concept...(wow what a concept..) Its about the ingredients first and the execution of the cook....

I know some people who have yet to figure out the flavor profile..start by adding or subtracting an ingredient at a time. By that I see them using cajun seasoning with honey and then some magic dust and a finishing glaze of Habanero Sauce with a finishing dusting of Honey rub....That is the wrong approach in my opinion....

What Trooper says....It is a mistake I still make... Dont experiment on guests. One of the times I cooked for Chris Lilly I had this neat crown roast of kurobota pork I had this really great idea for a blackberry sauce and glaze...reduced it perfectly and cooked it on a new pit...it was undercooked..There was Chris and Ken and Im making excuses....If I had cooked it on one of my cookers I knew I could experiment after all these years....To continue the name dropping the first time I cooked for Johnny Trigg I wanted to nail the cook I pre smoked in the mak and had the hasty bake ready for the final sear...I over cooked the steaks by about 4 degrees...He knew it and didnt say anything and I did too...The next time I did what I usually do and rocked it.

Look for the things that the people you respect include in every one of their recipes

Ask us. I have no secrets I want to help people progress in this wonderful hobby

LarryF

Thanks for the suggestions. I am on vacation next week and plan on getting as much cook time in as I can.Time to start the journal.

sparky

what got me started is watching the BP videos. then i just experimented w/ everything. rubs, sauces, times, temps. it's all good.....

Chris231

what got me started is watching the BP videos. then i just experimented w/ everything. rubs, sauces, times, temps. it's all good.....

I'm with Spark on this one, the BPS videos are a great place to start. The videos all cover the basics and you can start tweaking things from there to find what flavor profile you like the best.

SmokeAndSpice

My advice: keep it basic, then go from there. Start with time and temperature, with seasoning very simple. I think you can get the first 80-90% there using good meat and paying attention to simply getting it cooked right. Start tweaking with spices, injection, brines, marinades and such only then.

jimsbarbecue

Skills

I agree that notes are important and a it helps build the cook sheet you use to recreate the good ones. I also agree with BP that messing with flavors can mess you up at the wrong times. Need to cook some basic ribs that have limited ingredients and are still great PM Sparky. If anyone has a good rib recipe it is him. then with that as a start you can change spices etc to fit what you like.

Top Bottom