Smoke

bflodan

Ive had some great smoke put out by my MAK, but these last few bags of bbq delight hickory havent been putting out the same amount... Just curious if maybe some bags are better than others?? Anyone else ever see the same thing?? Ive havent done anything different with my MAK... I clean it out at least after every second cook....The food still comes out great as usual!! Just wondering if Im not alone???

TentHunter

I guess it is possible since how long wood was seasoned plays a role. But, since I've come over to the pellet smoking side of BBQ, I haven't noticed any difference from bag to bag (so far).

I have noticed a difference with other conditions though. Pit temp (obviously), but also with humidity. I can't say about Las Vegas, but here in N.E. Ohio the humidity fluctuates a lot. When it's more humid or when I add a water pan to the pit I tend to get better smoke flavor. Initial meat temp can play a role as well.

Has any of those or other conditions changed?

Rip

I agree with the rest of the comments....need more data on cooking temps and ambient conditions. My MAK puts out the smoke.

bflodan

Cooking temps are usually low and slow, as usual....On other hand, it is getting hotter and drier out here so I didnt really think about that...Just seemed like I got alot more smoke cycles out of a regular cook...Thought id ask, but I did receive my MAK in the winter and we are now getting into desert heat so that could explain it.....My pellets do last alot longer now which I do like!! Thanks for the input!!

scooter

Yes I agree with your observation on ambient temps. As the ambient temp rises, your pellet pit will not need to burn as much fuel to keep temps as it would if the ambient temps were cold. Especially if your MAK is in direct sunlight.

TentHunter

Yes, When it's more humid outside I notice a better smoke penetration and deeper smoke ring.

I know Nitrogen Dioxide in the smoke turns to nitric acid when it hits water (i.e. the moisture on the surface of meat). The nitric acid reacts with the myoglobin in the meat forming the smoke ring. So it makes sense that more humidity would cause a greater & deeper reaction and I believe it also carries more of the smoke flavor in with it. That's why I'm a fan of putting some kind of water container in the smoker, even if its just a tin can with water.

Well it makes sense to me any way, even if it does make my head hurt thinking about it! :p

Top Bottom