What is best time to visit a competition?

ht01us

Posted this a while back in the Competition area but got no responses. Thought I'd try here to see if there is any more response.

The Aloha Thriftway Classic is in the Portland area this coming weekend put on by the PNWBA (Pacific NorthWest Barbecue Association ). Is anybody on the list participating or visiting?

The web site says it is a "qualifier". What does that mean?

I'm planning on visiting; this will be my first visit to a BBQ competition. I'll go back and review the unwritten rules that were posted a while back. (wait, if the rules are unwritten, how can I read them)

If I were to make 2 trips over; what times would be the best?

Big Poppa

Administrator
You can walk through the night before but if someone is huddled over meat...just keep walking...Most are very friendly if you dont try to talk to them when they are doing the critical stuff...do not vist until after the turn in on the comp day andif you do play it safe and just observe...This last week I had a guy who is trying to start a pellet cooker company come barging into the tent when we were pulling food off racing against the clock and try to sell me Party Foul

KimG SOW

If you have questions and want to talk with a team, look up Wine Country Q. JD is a really nice guy.

As for what a 'Qualifier' means, invite to the American Royal Invitational in KC, MO and a chance for a draw to the Jack Daniels Invitational in Lynchburg, TN.

I'm guessing this is a Sat/Sun event? If so the time to go would be Sat. unless you get an invite to come back Sunday. After they set up, most teams will prep their meat as soon as they can. Then they will have time until they have to start their cookers and put meat on. The day of turn-in will be very busy. I just learned this weekend that in the PNWBA they turn in the big meats first, so they are VERY busy!

ht01us

Fantastic; thanks KimG. I'll go Saturday and loiter. I'll look up JD from Wine Country Q; but won't bother him if they look incredibly busy.

And thanks for the info on "Qualifier"

Do I understand it correctly that the KCBS (Kansas City Barbecue Society?) is the overall sanctioning body for big BBQ comps like Jack Daniels, etc.?

Top Bottom