Don't practice on you guests!

Big Poppa

Administrator
This is what a wife and a dog are for...(for the ladies Husband and sons....hehehehe)

It is funny you remember your disasters a lot more than your home runs.....I still make that mistake from time to time....

As a rule of thumb dont sefrve something to guests that you havent already cooked and tweaked

jimsbarbecue

All kinding aside. That is Gospel! Guest get the good recipes.
My family knows when there are two plates with the same food that it is a taste test. And I have been told I don't need to keep some of the tests.

smoker pete

What are friends for? All my guests are friends and I do practice on my guests!! A friend will tell you what they honestly think of your cook whereas a guest might not just cause they want to be polite and after all ... It's a free meal. Besides, there's always pizza :D

sparky

lol, 1976. pretty good buddy. don't practice on guest? ok, not guest. what about in-laws? its a good question. ;)

scooter

Agreed BP, I never practice on anyone outside my immediate family. I also would never give anything I BBQd, that I felt was substandard, to anyone at work or in the neighborhood. Everything I serve up has my name on it. I don't care what standard others judge Q by, if my name is on it, and I'm not pleased with it, it never gets served to anyone.

SmokeAndSpice

Good advice. I'd add it also goes for cooking for a crowd-- make sure you've scaled up your recipe and techniques. I have a horror story about my first large-scale fajita attempt. Ditto ribs. What worked many times on a small scale took a bit more attention and care than I had accounted for, especially while trying to entertain at the same time.

Some of my best friends are also beer judges and brewers, so we're used to both dishing out and receiving opinions that can be painfully honest. ;)

Last edited:

ITFD#15

I did my first cook ever on a pellet smoker on Christmas day with a hole house full of family. Took on a 12lb turkey, brined it and put it on the grill Christmas morning and with a little help from coffee and irish cream, rum and eggnog, and beer turned out a good meal.
Got lucky maybe cause it turned out perfect nice smoke ring, moist and great flavor.
Saying that I agree that it is a good idea to do test runs first cause tweaking a recipe is part of the fun.

Rip

I agree on the guests thingie...but family (which of course includes in-laws) are the best judges, no punches pulled there!

Top Bottom