Alder Smoked Steelhead Trout

smoker pete

Big time fish lover ... I love to catch them, release them and also eat them!! But over the years I have never caught, smoked, cooked, or eaten a Steelhead Trout. Steelhead are ocean-running rainbow Trout and for the most part, it's not legal to fish commercially for Steelhead. When I saw some nice Fresh Farmed Steelhead Fillets at Costco I decided to remedy the situation. Would have prefered Wild Steehead Trout but as the Rolling Stones once sang : "... You can't always get what you want - but if you try sometimes you get what you need ... ".

Each fillet weighed about 2½ lbs. Notice an old fisherman's trick to make a fish look bigger. Both fillets are the same size yet the front one looks so much bigger.

Steelhead1.jpg

Cut the Steelhead into uniform strips of about 3 inches.

Steelhead2.jpg

This Brine Recipe is one for Fresh Salmon that I borrowed from kummok on the Bradley Smoker Forum. Kummok resides in Homer, Alaska. Brine the fish for 12 - 24 hours in the refrigerator. Make sure that the fish is held under the brine in order to get complete uniform brining. You can add 3 Tbsp cayenne pepper if desired. I modified the recipe to include 1 Tbsp of onion powder.

1 gallon cold water
1 quart soy sauce or teriyaki
1 cup pickling salt
2 lbs brown sugar
2 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp onion powder

Steelhead3.jpg

After 12 hours of brining place the fish in a single layer on drying racks and ensure that the pieces do not touch each other. Dry the fish for 12 hours in the refrigerator until a hard pellicle forms. Fish will have a tough, shiny coat and will be slightly tacky to the touch.

Inserted the Steelhead Trout into the 110ºF pre-heated Original Bradley Smoker (OBS) and loaded 9 Alder Bisquettes for a 3 hour Alder Flavor smoke. Programmed the Auber PID for 1 hour at 110ºF, followed by 1 hour at 120ºF, 4 hours at 140ºF, and 3 hours at 175ºF which will give me plenty of time to complete the Steelhead smoking process. This is where you should be using a smoker that can maintain the lower temperatures for the best results. As a general rule, the higher temp you use the more the fish cooks the oils out and the fish becomes dryer/tougher in the process. If you get white "boogers" on the fish, you're cooking too high and/or too fast.

Steelhead4.jpg

Rotated the racks every hour - top to bottom, front to back. Unfortunately, after 4 hours, during the 4 hour at 140ºF smoking process I experienced a malfunction with the OBS heating elements which predicated that I use an alternate method to complete smoking the Steelhead Trout. I closely monitor the smoking process with my Maverick ET-732 Remote Smoker Thermometer and soon noticed that the OBS chamber temperature was at 121º vs the programmed 140º. The temperature was being maintained by the smoking element and an ambient temp of 90+º.

Fortunately I was able to fall back on my MAK 2 Star General Pellet Grill to complete the smoking process of the Steelhead Trout. Chose to set the MAK controller for a 200º temp since the Steelhead at this point should not cook too fast and develop white "boogers".

Inserted a temp probe in the thickest piece in order to pull the smoked Stealhead Trout when the Internal Temperature (IT) reaches 140ºF.

Steelhead5.jpg

Used American Broadleaf 60/40 Alder Wood Pellets.

Steelhead6.jpg

Pulled the Alder Smoked Steelhead Trout when the IT reached 140ºF and allowed the fish to rest under a loosely fitted foil tent for 45 minutes. Took about 2 hours in the MAK to finish the smoking process that under normal conditions would have finished in the OBS.

Steelhead8.jpg

The money $shot ... I'll let the photo speak for itself ... Bon Appétit

Steelhead10.jpg

Smoked fish gets better with time. Vacuumed sealed the rest and into the freezer for at least a couple of weeks. I know it's hard to wait for it but it's worth it ...

Steelhead11.jpg

TentHunter

Man does that ever look good!

I have also been wanting to try some steelhead, but haven't found any. Lake Erie has steelhead that run up the rivers just like the ocean. After seeing this, I may have to make a little fishing trip. :)

HogSmoker

Winner winer fish dinner Smoker Pete that looks really good. Have you done this process with any other types of fish like salmon ?

ACW3

Steelhead trout and salmon can be pretty much treated the same. Have you tried Alton Brown's dry brine method? Give that a shot if you are cold smoking the trout or salmon for a lox-type finish. Thinly sliced on a bagel with cream cheese... Hmmm, good!

Art

smoker pete

Winner winer fish dinner Smoker Pete that looks really good. Have you done this process with any other types of fish like salmon ?

Yes HogSmoker I use the same recipe with salmon often. Have not tried white fish yet but I don't see why it wouldn't work just as well.

HogSmoker

Yes HogSmoker I use the same recipe with salmon often. Have not tried white fish yet but I don't see why it wouldn't work just as well.
This is my next project to try. Getting the smoke / cook time down will take some patience I'm sure . Thanks for the info Smoker Pete.

Top Bottom