Pellet comsumption

nolesfan954

I did a small brisket today, took seven hours time at 250 on my MAK 2 Star General. I easily burned a whole ten pound bag of pellets in the process. Including the cost of electricty to run the grill, I find that something is completely out of whack. This has been an issue for me for a while; in fact, I went to Home Depot last week and bought a small gasser for my little cooks just so I don't have to fire up the MAK.
Does anyone one else find this problem with their MAKs?

scooter

Sounds about right. I pay .50/lb for my pellets so we're talking $5 in fuel to cook 7 hours. The electricity to run the fan and auger is about equivalent to a 75W bulb. The fan only is 25W. Not much cost there.
The tradeoff is you're getting food that tastes better than food cooked on gas. Gas isn't cheap either.

nolesfan954

OK, no problem. Thanks for the input. I love the MAK, if you guys say it's within the norm, then that's good enough for me. I was just worried something might be wrong with it.
thanks again
Richard

So Cal Smoker

Hey Richard, when I first started cooking with my MAK I too was concerned with how many pellets I was burning but just forget it, it's the cost for all the enjoyment your getting from your MAK. Kickback and enjoy.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Hey this is the kind of thread that starts urban legends...scarcely over a pound an hour is not excessive by any means...also...How do you get smoke? You burn pellets. The memphis burns slightly less pellets at lower temps but puts out signifigantly less smoke.

Top Bottom